Trailer brakes

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by woodlawnservice, Aug 30, 2019.

1. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Bronze Member

This winter tearing down my trailer to repack hubs and bearings. Also to work on brakes. They are not working to great
    ... I've never done brakes on trailers.. any helpful info on what I'm looking for or how to fix them. Both are 8 lug axles trailers. Just not stopping well....

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  2. TripleT

TripleT LawnSite Member

Need a little more info. What type of controller (assume electric). Have the pads been replaced. Did it fade or just stopping working all at once?

hort101 likes this.
  3. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

They are probably drum brakes, when's the last time you adjusted them

hort101 and BigFish like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Bronze Member

They are drum and I've never adjusted....?

5. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure you use new seals. Make sure everything is freed up. Deglaze shoes & drums. Electric brakes ? Hydraulic brakes ?
    You might wanna GOOGLE fer more detailed info.

hort101 and woodlawnservice like this.
  6. TripleT

TripleT LawnSite Member

Assuming controller has correct power and ground. Make sure you have an output voltage on the output wire from your controller when you override or press brake pedal. If not controller is bad. If you do have an output start checking the voltage at the brake connection on the trailer and work it all the way to your trailer hubs. Your output will vary based on the controller manufacturer, most have a troubleshooting guide and some have indicator lights.

hort101 likes this.
  7. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I’m assuming they’re electric drum brakes. I’m also assuming they work some and aren’t completely dead. Start by adjusting the brake shoes to the proper clearance with the drum. If that doesn’t work my next suggestion would be to check the drums for uneven wear especially where the magnet drags.

woodlawnservice likes this.
  8. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Man, electric trailer brakes just don't last that long in my opinion. I wouldn't bother repairing once you have it apart. You can buy replacement for about $100/wheel including pad, magnet, back plate and hub/drum, bearings. Check the bolt pattern where it connects to the axle but Alko, Dexter, etc they're all the same. You probably have 10" drums. Amazon is as good a place to buy replacement as anywhere.

Breezmeister likes this.
  9. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from South Jersey

This is the way to go any more......

zlandman likes this.
  10. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I need drums for my heavier trailer. It’s 10k axels and I believe it’s 12” drums. The only ones I could find were outrageous like $250 each. Does anyone know of a cheaper place?