1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer decision

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by milkie62, May 3, 2010.

1. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

Two years ago when I started I bought a 7x12 Bri-Mar dump trailer with a landscape gate.Could not afford 2 trailers at same time so I thought this would cover me until I could get another one.
    Have been looking at 7x18 trailers since I need around 78-80" with the bagger blower mtd.I also do some brush hog work with my farm tractor so I need the 18' length.My question is I do not know which one to get --- a 7000 lb or the 10000 lb GVW trailer.Difference is $1200.00.The 7000lb will carry my tractor and brush hog with about 300 lbs to spare.

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Go two foot longer and get the heavy.

3. timberbrook

timberbrook LawnSite Member

I second that 1grnlwn. You cannot make a short trailer longer. Room to grow is good. It could be the difference between one trip vs. two when hauling bark/stone/soil ect......

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Get the 10000 lbs GVW trailer. 300lbs to spare is not a lot so you will max the 7000lbs trailer out pretty easily.

5. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I'm pretty sure they offer 10kgw, 12k, and 14. I would not go with the 10k because that trailer has to weigh atleast 4k empty. I prefer my 6x12 over my 7x14 heavy duty simply because of the weight. You deffinetly feel the difference. Also, bri-mar doesnt make an 18ft trailer. Well, actually they do, but they're the new tripple axle trailers... which look pretty bad ass

6. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

I gotta find time and go and look.I really only want a landscape trailer with an occasional tractor transport for brush hogging.Trying to get away from the extra weight.

7. crhoades68

crhoades68 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I'd go longer and stronger. I like too many others have not stretched and regretted that decision later.