1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Light PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ARLawnCare#1, Jun 17, 2004.

1. ARLawnCare#1

ARLawnCare#1 LawnSite Member
    from AR

I consider myself a trailer light expert.(Until today) My gooseneck has four round lights in the back, six clearance lights, $ licenses plate light. All lights work, BUT when I put the hazard lights on and the tail lights, the clearance lights flash VERY slightly. Sitting in the shop it does this. When I drive the trailer it blows the tail light fuse. Where am I getting the blinking in the clearance lights?? Should a four lights flash & have tail lights? Should two flash and two tail light? PLEASE HELP!! THANKS!!!!!!

2. budracin

budracin LawnSite Member
    from florida

sounds like you may have a ground problem. Only the two outer lights should flash. Do you have a 6 plug pigtail?

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Yep sounds like a ground problem

4. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

I worked in an auto repair garage for several years. One time a car came in with some light problems. Bout pulled all my hair out lookin for the trouble. What I found was a new 1157 bulb that the elements were touching each other in the glass that was suppose to keep them seperate.

5. MDB270

MDB270 LawnSite Member

try taking a piece of like 12-14 guage wire and find a good groune on the truck and trailer and use the crimp on eyelets and then a connector you can disconect in the middle, and when you hook up and plug in you main plug also hood those wires together and you will have a good ground flowing through

6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

If its a late model truck, you need to have a converter for the trailer lights. Or you have it wired wrong.

7. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

you only need a converter if the truck has rear amber turn signals

i would say ground problem