1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer missing VIN

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by greenfire, Mar 5, 2018.

1. greenfire

greenfire LawnSite Senior Member

I need some opinions on my situation here.. let me explain. 4 months ago I sold a trailer for $1200 to a buyer in Connecticut. (I am in NY) Title / bill of sale provided and signed. The buyer finally decided to register the trailer, but can not because the VIN on the trailer is either missing or painted over. CT requires a visual VIN check. It is certainly possible the vin was painted over years ago. I owned the trailer for 10 years with no problems from NY DMV.

So the buyer is not happy with me, claiming I sold him a stolen trailer and that's why it was painted over. He wants me to buy the trailer back. I told him to goto NY DMV and have the title checked out. Trailer was sold as is.

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Silver Member
    from Chicago

Steve5389 likes this.
  3. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn’t feel obligated to do anything more than you did at the time of sale.

Here in Missouri, getting a title for a trailer is as simple as getting a form for a home built trailer and having the Sherriff come out to inspect and apply a VIN #. Pay the titling fee and it’s registered.
  4. greenfire

greenfire LawnSite Senior Member

5. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

In VA if there is no title to the trailer you can register it as home made, they give u a form to fill out you call state police they look it over making sure it's road worthy and sign.DMV gives a vin plate and title to put on the trailer riveted. Not sure NY or CT offer that but it may be a option.