1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Plug Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by trip5981, Apr 1, 2010.

1. trip5981

trip5981 LawnSite Member

Hello, I have a 06 Ford F-250 SuperDuty Diesel. Im wiring a 7 plug trailer harness on a trailer. The truck came factory with a 7 & 4 plug hook on the back. The problem I am finding is I only have power to 4 of the 7 wires on the back of the truck (brake, signals, & markers/tails). I feel like I am missing something as simple as adding a fuse but I'm looking for input from you guys that probably know. As always Thanks in advance.

trip5981

2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

batt aux and ground are the rest you may need a fuse. The trailer fuse is under the hood its a small fuse

3. trip5981

trip5981 LawnSite Member

Battery Aux, and the reverse option were the 2 that I know I didnt have power to. Im working on getting the brake controller installed so I wont know if it works until then.

4. unkownfl

battery, aux, and the ground batt and aux are two different landings

5. trip5981

trip5981 LawnSite Member

Theres marker, 2 signal, brake, reverse option, ground, & aux power to charge the break away battery right? I think I left a comma out on the last post sorry.

6. unkownfl

http://rvbasics.com/techtips/rv-travel-trailer-plug-wiring.html

Break away has no battery. Battery is for electric brakes that the break away sends a signal too in a nut shell there is also a aux for say back up lights or camera that is not wired from the factory. Break away is just a steel cable that pulls a plug that allows the breaks to complete a circuit to the battery.

7. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

The constant hot will charge your battery on the trailer. It won't give it full juice in a few hours, but it will slowly charge it... almost like a trickle charger. Also the hot wire will provide you with interior lights when the truck is not on but trailer is connected.

8. JS&L

JS&L LawnSite Member

actually the battery is only there for the break away!