Trailer Question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tacoforeveryone, Feb 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. tacoforeveryone

tacoforeveryone LawnSite Member
    Male, from Cincinnati, Ohio

Hello everyone,

I currently have a 5x8 trailer and I'm looking to upgrade to a larger one for this coming season. I have a 52" Exmark Radius and a Exmark Viking 48" mower and was wondering what is the smallest trailer I could get away with hauling both mowers? Maybe they would fit on a 5x10, but I wasn't sure. I've owned 16' trailers in the past, but want something small to back into my garage at the end of the day with both mowers still on the trailer and be able to fit down lots of narrow streets I work on.

Thank you!

hort101 likes this.
  2. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

settle for a 12

Walker56 and DXN1EL like this.
  3. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TEXAS

6x12 in case you buy a 60" down the road.

Walker56, JLSLLC and Dawson like this.
  4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Set up your mowers in your garage like they’re on a trailer and measure what fits your mowers and inside your garage and that answers your question.

IMO get an enclosed trailer and don’t park it in your garage.

5. Eric502

Eric502 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Kentucky

FWIW... think long and hard about how long you are going to use this trailer and where/what you might do with your business. If you see yourself using this trailer for a long time in your business, think about buying bigger than you think you might need. It is always better to have the space and not need it vs having a smaller trailer that handles what you have now and needing a bigger one a year or two down the road, again....... kind of where I am now. Also, tandem axle will hold up better with two mowers vs one.

6. hal

hal LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

The radius is about 80-85 inches and the viking is almost the same about 160 inches end to end.

7. Guitargain

Guitargain LawnSite Member

I started off in midsummer 2017 with a 5.5 x 8 or 10 open trailer. I had one 52 inch mower at the time and a push mower. In August of last year I bought a 7x16 Rock Solid in Douglas GA. I thought that would be big enough for the duration. I have the 52 inch and added a 61 inch. They are both Scag Patriots and I also have the Honda push mower. Once I put both mowers, the push mower, a couple 5 gallon gas cans, my portable air tank, and my chainsaw in it, it's not a lot of room left over. Kinda wishing I would have got a 20 footer now. It's not to the point I worry about it because I have e-track and string trimmer, pole saw attachment, backpack blower, and hedge trimmer is all hanging up. But I would definitely recommend going bigger than you think you need.

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I used to fit two dixie choppers butt to nutz on a 12 foot single axle trailer.
    They fit so perfectly and so tight you didnt even need to strap them down, no room to move...but IIRC dixies are a tad shorter than most ZTRs.

9. tacoforeveryone

tacoforeveryone LawnSite Member
    Male, from Cincinnati, Ohio

Thanks everyone for all your replies, I really appreciate it!

10. arl250

arl250 LawnSite Senior Member

I started about 15 years ago with a 10ft trailer then upgraded pretty quick to a 7x14 tandem axle. That trailer worked great for a while. Then I happened to find a good deal on a 18 ft trailer from a company going out of business so I bought it and I had more room than I ever thought I’d need. Well wouldn’t you know I wish I’d got at least 20ft now