1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer questions?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cdorris, Mar 20, 2004.

1. cdorris

cdorris LawnSite Member

I'm looking at buying a new trailer for this year and just a had question. The trailer I'm looking at is a 14 foot single axle trailer and I'm just wondering would it be smart to go with a duel axle or will the single be fine?

2. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on how much you're hauling. I've got a 12' single axle trailer. I carry a 48"wb, 52" Lazer w/ Ultra-vac, 21" trim mower, a push blower, and various hand tools, weed wacker, & BP blower. It's a tight fit, but I make it work. If you were to go up to 16', then I'd get a dual axle trailer.

3. Joe25

Joe25 LawnSite Member

I have a 14 foot single axle and it works fine. It all depends on what you are going to haul. I have found that the 14 foot trailer meets my needs. I haul mowers, trimmers, blowers, and hand tools and still have room for more. If you are planning on hauling mulch or topsoil, you may want a double axle. But for just mowers and related equipment you should do fine with the 14 foot trailer.

4. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC. LawnSite Member

I am looking at either a 5x8 or 6x10 to get started with but Im concerned about the tires. TSC has single axle trailers on sale, $699 for the 6x10, but I think the tires may be too small. They seems like tires you would find on a tilt-bed trailer. I will be hauling a 48" Cub Cadet ZTR and 21" push mower and blower and trimmer in my truck. I like the trailer to start out with because it is something my father can use next year up at our summer home when I upgrade next year when I get my commercial mower for my next venture. Should I be concerned that much with tire size? Opinions? :confused:

5. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

I sold one last year (5X8 W/ gate) That I had bought @ TSC 4 years ago. Can't say I ever had any trouble with the small (12")
    tires, but sold it to buy one with an "A-frame tounge", 15" tires, and wood floor, brakes, jack, ect. Like the Big Tex SA29, with 3' gate.

6. cdorris

cdorris LawnSite Member

GreatLakesLawnCare
    i would go ahead and get the 6x trailer thats why im having to invest in a new trailer this year. 5 foot was fine with my 48incher, But this year i bought me a new 60 inch and the 5 foot will not work (just a thought).

Yeah i will be hauling 2 mowers and couple of trimmers and blowers so i should be fine thanks for the info guys..

7. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

did you guys know the cost of trailers went up this year because of the increase in steel prices. I called different dealerships and they all told me the same thing. but if it's a 14ft i would get a double axle. Better to spead a little extra money, instead of wishing you would of in the future...

8. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

I own a 14'x6' single and it works fine for 48"ZTR,48"Standon,two 21"ers,BUT if if were to do it again I would have got a 16x6 tandem,The equipment seems to ride alot better on duals.WHATS FUNNY is when I bought the 14' I thought what a big trailer,but there was room for growth and thats what I did ,Next year I will own a 16x6 dually.

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 14' double axle and have not regretted it one bit. 7500lb capy is great when you need it. I find it is actually easier to back it with 2 axles. I had a 6X10 prior to that and found it was small.

10. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I got a 6.5x16 last year and have out grown it. Get the biggest that you possibly can!