1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer size

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by LawnBoy89, Nov 17, 2004.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

This year I only have one mower, Ferris 48'' w/b. But next year I am going to be adding a Ferris ZTR, probably one of the bigger ones.

What I was wondering is what size trailer should I get. I don't want to get a 10 ft. now and then have to upgrade when I get a new mower.

How big do I need a trailor to fit a w/b and a ZTR? I don't want to get a trailer that is too small and need to upgrade so what size trailer will I need to fit both these machines, and what are you guys running?

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a scag tiger cub which is a smaller compact mower and a walkbehind and the trailer is full, I have a 6.5x 12. I would seriously look at a 7ft x 16 with a side gate so you can unload the walkbehind and not have to move the z

3. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

they make 6.5 by 12's that have a side gate thats 5 feet wide. TSC has them for about 1,300 I think.

4. LawnBoy89

Do you think I would be alright with a 7 X 14? I know the Ferris' are very large machines as far as width.

What is TSC and where can I find them?

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

14 footers in a single axle are a little hard to come by, and if you go with a dual axle in 14 foot then i would definately go with 16 foot, leaves you alot more room for a push blower or walk behind edger , 21 '' push mower . I would definatley try to get a trailer with a side gate no mater what size you end up with

6. LawnBoy89

What are some good companies that make landscape trailers? Because there is a "Trailer Depot" right down the street from me but I think all they sell is Big Tex and one other company that sells inclosed stuff.

I really don't want to spend over $1500, is that possible?

Thanks for the help guys.

7. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

TSC= Tractor Suppy Company

i dont know how your trailers price, But i can get a 6.5 X 16 dual axle with brakes and rear gate for about $1300 ad a side gate basket and racks you end up with about $2000 in it. But you may have racks already? A said gate is not necessary, but it is vary nice and worth the extra $200 or so.

p.s. I hear Big Tex is a fairly good trailer, lots of people hear have them.

8. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

A 6.5 X 16 with dual axles, brakes and a tool rack for $ 1300-1500 is not bad. Put the w/b and the small stuff up front and under the tool rack, with the ztr to the rear, near the axles. That should work great.

9. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It is a good price, we seem to have cheap trailer's down here.

10. turftammer

turftammer LawnSite Member

I think I need to be in the trailer buisness and sell to you guys. some of the prices just amaze me I can buy 16' tandem w/ramp gate & side gate for $1000 or no side gate for $750