Trailer Strobe lights?

Harrison Woods

LawnSite Member
Anybody add strobe lights to back of dump trailer? I heard you tap into aux and ground wires, but how do you turn them on/off? Would they automatically go on when the running lights are on?

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Heck that gave me an idea. Tap into the drive/running lights and then put a switch in line somewhere. At least it would not drain the lift battery.

Been wanting to do the same thing but never really got to the think through it part.

dieselss

LawnSite Silver Member
. Tap into the drive/running lights and then put a switch in line somewhere. At least it would not drain the lift battery.
So then you'd have to have the trucks parking lights on at all times which would drain the trucks battery. That would be better then the lift battery?

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Well I guess it depends on when you are wanting to use the strobes? I'd have no problem driving my truck with the driving lights on. If you are talking about having them operate for a long time while the truck is off. Crank the truck up let the alt take care of it. My double deep cycle/heavy amp cranking batteries on my diesel would still outlast a regular dump battery but that's just my set up. To each their own.

dieselss

LawnSite Silver Member
If your truck an trailer were wired for a hot wire to the dump battery then it would charge when the truck was running and you would t need to turn on the trucks lights everytime you wanted to use the strobes.
However,,,if the op or anyone was using LEDS the draw would be so minimal that it wouldn't matter anyways.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
I've got a cheap dump trailer. Doesn't charge got no hot to it. Kinda of a pain to pull and charge it every now and again.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
My dump has no break away. Trying to think... It's about 10 yrs old still works like a champ. Maybe not required then? My newer trailers all do have it