Lawn Care Forum banner

trailer tire knock

3K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  grass_cuttin_fool 
#1 ·
the driver side, rear tire on my carry-on tandem axle is knocking, it happens while driving. also when you push on the tire it moves slightly. Any ideas? hopefully something simple like re-greasing of the axles?

#3 ·
Yes check the lugs - I lost a wheel last year on the driver's side it came off the trailer while going about 35 mph crossed the yellow line and hit an Audi Quattro in the left front and bounced up in the air back onto my side of the road and rolled down the hill. Did about $3500.00 damage to the Audi ( fender, headlight, hood, radiator, windshield washer system, power steering system) , it was a pretty big dent for only a wheel but wheel + tire is heavy and it was going 35 mph and the Audi probably 40 mph in opposite direction. VERY loud bang sounded like tire exploded. There was no damage to my tire though I put it back on, luckily the lug nuts from my lazer fit my trailer. Could also be the nut that holds the hub on the axle ( the one with the cotter pin) it should have a little play but not enough to make noise.

#4 ·
You are way past just greasing your axles (via the grease zerk if you have one.) Your hubs need to be pulled off and the bearings need to be repacked or replaced. If it is that loose I wouldn't pull it another mile until you get it fixed or it will be alot more costly.

#5 ·
yea it just started happening the last clean-up then it got put away for the winter. so it hasnt been driven, all the lugs are tight too. I guess i will be pulling the hubs off this week. maybe tomorrow. Where can i get them and how much are bearings? unfortunetley this trailer does not have fittings, they have to be re-packed. i suppose it is about time for that anyways.

#8 ·
yes if you replace the bearing then replace the race also. I would add a set of bearing buddys to the axle also so you can grease them from time to time....its not a cure for re-packing bearings but it does make the interval go longer between re-packs

wayne

#16 ·
you coudl to any car place. Pep boys, ect. and pick up a set of tapered roller bearings that match.....and a new cotter pin for about 15-20 bucks. you'll need to grease the bearings and such...

But check the castle nut first, and if you put the new bearing on, the castle nut is not supposed to be "gorilla tight".

#20 ·
did you put a new cotter pin in place...the castle nut wont' "work itself" loose with a cotter pin in place and I have seen plenty of old reused cotter pins break.

Its possible you still could have damaged the bearings....Its still may not be a bad idea to swap out the bearing on that wheel...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.