1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer toolbox

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by rungreen, Mar 18, 2017.

1. rungreen

rungreen LawnSite Member

I bought a new trailer, now looking for a toolbox. I'm going to put it on A frame but can't find one to fit. I need one that's 48 inches long to mount on A frame, most are 36 wide. I'm sure someone makes this box. It's on a t1 pj tilt trailer. Thanks

2. stonny9

stonny9 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 5' wide trailer. In searching for an A-frame box I found that none maximized the available space and the diamond plate was thin. Just the other day I was jumping up and down on my to show someone it didn't Flex one bit I'm a hundred and forty pounds. I turned my truck sharp left and right with trailer and measured. I gave myself about a 4" buffer each side. I went to a semi local shop personally referred and have them my measurements. It was something like $400. Owner broke down the cost by the cent but I was already prepared to pay $500.

3. rungreen

rungreen LawnSite Member

I don't trust diamond plate either. I thought about making brackets and fabricating something. I just figured someone made a box this size.

4. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

Another option would be to take the shorter/narrower tool box and mount it to longer angle iron that spans the A frame. But the bigger the tool box the better.

hort101 likes this.
  5. stonny9

stonny9 LawnSite Senior Member

I still got diamond plate but it is a lot thicker than what you can buy premade. I put a 4 gal stihl backpack sprayer, 2.5 gal gas can, small fishing box with sprinkler parts, 3/8" short and deep socket set, and stihl sg55 handheld blower w/only one tube. I have more room if I needed it.

6. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I had a toolbox from a truck that was supposed to go on the side rails of the bed. You know what i mean...Full size.It worked well for me. I put a few pressure treated 4x4s under it as legs to support the tools. I would do it again. Just an opinion. Good luck

7. GoPappy

GoPappy LawnSite Senior Member

I've got that same trailer and will be watching this thread. I'm looking for a toolbox for mine too.