1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer wiring/ repair mechanic in Indiana?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by eggy, Dec 5, 2018.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Bronze Member

Any fellow Hoosier know of a good place to take a couple of trailers for some wiring/light repairs? Preferably Indianapolis or south of... Thanks for the recommendations.

JLSLLC likes this.
  2. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Senior Member

Youtube can be your friend.. and you will save some dough too!

JLSLLC and UpNorthMowing like this.
  3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Take mine to U-Haul.

Walker56, JLSLLC and Doc8406 like this.
  4. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I usually go to walmart or somewhere where a sale is and get a kit... 1-2 seasons is all i get with an open utility before something breaks, like a light..

I have large staples i nailed under my trailer into the wood, now i cut the old and fish the new through

Doc8406 and Walker56 like this.
  5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

LED lights last much longer.

Breezmeister, Doc8406 and Walker56 like this.
  6. springfield_pest

springfield_pest LawnSite Senior Member

That is 1-2 seasons more than I get. The last time I changed a set of lights I broke one before I got it hooked to the truck. The side of the housing is still missing a big chunk.
    They are just more expensive targets for stuff to break.

7. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

Weld or bolt these on by the wheel well, or at the end of the trailer.

pt-series-mounting-bracket-truck-trailer-led-lights.jpg

5bfdb679-2bbb-4d80-bbe7-fe0dd3521277_1.c274223acc08eb7c1ad7dfccd7046d9b.jpeg

Breezmeister and Walker56 like this.
  8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

9. Hoosier_Fan

Hoosier_Fan LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

If you're still looking for someone, I've heard Alexander's Rv and trailer down here in Bloomington is a good place to go. I've never had them work on anything of mine though.

10. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member

go to home depot get yourself a red, black and green spool of 16gage wires (or you can use 3x14 gage standard home wire.. you'll have 6 lines all together 3 for each light) along with some 1/2" PVC pipe and elbows and do it yourself for $35, and get the wire out of the elements and secured with 1/2" size u-brackets. then just mount to the under side of the trailer and run the wires through the pvc, tie in the grounds & running lights, add the left and right blinker power wires to the harness and your set

that 22 gage crap our trailer came with is a waste. I had so many wire shorts you'd swear the four ways were on. I have LED on my wish list..but the standard bulb lights do work; VERY IMPORTANT TO have the lights mounted on a rubber or isolation base.

our state law on trailers under 7K lbs (single axles for all intensive purposes) requires the blinkers to be behind the axle and 2" x 1" red and white reflective tape along the trailer base prior and leading up to the axle and the tag must be illuminated.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Doc8406 likes this.