Transmission advice

huskerlover

LawnSite Member
I've got a 36" Scag walk behind with a Peerless transmission. In 4th gear (speed) it occasionally "chatters" and doesn't want to move. All other gears work fine. Is there anything serviceable in those transmissions, or does it just need replaced? I've got some mechanical skill, but don't want to end up with a workbench full of parts I can't get back together. Thanks!

rippinryno

LawnSite Gold Member
I'd keep running it in 3rd.

These usually give out in the most used gear, which was probably 4th gear for you.

Throw it in 3rd until it goes catastrophic. Then you can just replace the whole transmission, they're fairly cheap, and man those things hold up well.

The last one i replaced with a max transmission brand that cost around $150.

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I’ve had a peerless apart in the past, very easy to work on if your inclined, and take your time. Can’t recall the main issue, something close to yours, but I replaced the shift forks and back together no problem. I had it completely disassembled. They are a dime a dozen anymore, as a whole

douglee25

LawnSite Senior Member
Verify if when it chatters the shifter is moving back and forth...essentially in and out or between gears. There is a spring and detent ball. They can wear out the shifter. I ended up using a bungee cord wrapped around the shifter to keep it centered in gear. I ran it for 20 years this way. Lol

OP
H

huskerlover

LawnSite Member
I'd keep running it in 3rd.

These usually give out in the most used gear, which was probably 4th gear for you.

Throw it in 3rd until it goes catastrophic. Then you can just replace the whole transmission, they're fairly cheap, and man those things hold up well.

The last one i replaced with a max transmission brand that cost around $150.[/QUOT
Verify if when it chatters the shifter is moving back and forth...essentially in and out or between gears. There is a spring and detent ball. They can wear out the shifter. I ended up using a bungee cord wrapped around the shifter to keep it centered in gear. I ran it for 20 years this way. Lol
I'll give that a shot, thanks. Where would we be without bungee cords and duct tape?

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Don't take it apart....,.the lube is very messy. Also hard to tell which parts will need to be replaced.....go new
:rolleyes: The one i mentioned, was apart on my kitchen floor, in the downtime. No mess...Again, no issues if you take your time... if you have the money to spend ok, then yea remove and replace. Was simple, nowhere near as hard as a manual trans on a vehicle..

Edit: the OP made a second thread, and didnt want to reply to me so yeah, why even bother :terribletowel:

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
:rolleyes: The one i mentioned, was apart on my kitchen floor, in the downtime. No mess...Again, no issues if you take your time... if you have the money to spend ok, then yea remove and replace. Was simple, nowhere near as hard as a manual trans on a vehicle..

Edit: the OP made a second thread, and didnt want to reply to me so yeah, why even bother :terribletowel:
No mess with that greaseo_O. You must have experience with this clutch to be able to tell what is worn and needs replacing. All those gears and shafts are expensive. And edges on spline razor sharp.

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Didn’t cost that much TBH, but sureThumbs Up

Nothing sharp either :eek:

K c m

LawnSite Silver Member
I've got a 36" Scag walk behind with a Peerless transmission. In 4th gear (speed) it occasionally "chatters" and doesn't want to move. All other gears work fine. Is there anything serviceable in those transmissions, or does it just need replaced? I've got some mechanical skill, but don't want to end up with a workbench full of parts I can't get back together. Thanks!
YO! yes you ned to replace. go to mowmore and pick up a new one. its a pretty simple installation.in my opinion not worth changing out cogs. My 48 stuttered in 4th gear also maybe 2014. i think new transmission was 4 and change. takes about 1.5 hours to replace