1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Transplanting 6' Hemlocks

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tjcezar, Oct 2, 2007.

1. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

What is the best way for transplanting 6' Hemlocks (ammendments,etc.). I am looking to give a price and never had to really move such a large tree before. Would you say about 45min per tree (dig and replant)??? Distance between trees is minimul. I use an l3400 Kubota with backhoe. Do not have tree spade but thought maybe I could use pallet forks for getting under root ball. Whats the going price in your area for a transplant like this. All together there are 13 trees but I don't think we will be doing all of them. I will just give them a price per tree.

2. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

I was thinking 45min for 2 guys FYI.

3. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

I would charge 150 a piece ! there is alot of work there for any less!!see ya have fun George

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

rent a spade, I could move 13 6' hemlocks w/ my 33" spade probably in about two to three hours. that includes digging holes for them to be going into. a backhoe is not the answer, its a lot harder on you and the tree

5. BrandonV

by the way you would likely charge 200 - 300$/hr for the spade, depending on local.. but now is the time to move them! good luck!

6. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

trees were poorly planted so they are barely in the ground. I think they would be easy to get out. I was thinking about $45-60 per tree. Don't really know anyone around here(close) that rents tree spades

7. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

United Rentals will rent them as Skiddy attachments. You could also call Buddies Nursery, State Hill, or Spayds.

Chris

8. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

I am guessing of the 13 trees they will only want to do maybe 5-6 so I dont know if there will be enough $ for the rental but if they wanted to do all of them I might be able to swing it.

9. BrandonV

just be gently hemlocks are finicky... well at least here in NC. they probably like it up there

10. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA