1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Transporting Equipment Fuel

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by vntgrcr, Jan 7, 2006.

  1. vntgrcr

    vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 282

    Guys, I am sick and tired of hauling 6 gallon cans of fuel for my machines and want to go for a aux. fuel tank. Here is my dilemna. I have a Isuzu NPR with a back pack tool box. I recently picked up a aux. from a custom truck, all stainless and would fit perfectly on top of my backpack. I onlyneed about 25gal capacity so this one would work fine. As I was fabricating the brackets to mount it and a friend came over and strongly suggested I not do it due to the regulations on carrying fuel oil. I do have my Dodge Ram, but I really don't want to put a tank in that due to getting the truck all messed up with mud, grease etc. And I need to fuel everthying on a regular basis/every day. I looked on the net for spec's, ie, over so many gallons you need placards, liscence's, etc. Couldn't find anything. What can you guys tell me. I don't want any trouble with the locals:cool: Thanks
  2. Scag48

    Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,067

    I think as long as the tank is rated for carrying diesel fuel, I think you'll be fine. I don't think you need any placard unless you're carrying over 200 gallons or something like that.
  3. Dirt_Werx

    Dirt_Werx LawnSite Member
    from mass
    Messages: 38

    i know that a tank permit is required, just not sure what is involved in getting one, ill look into it though.
  4. Restrorob

    Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,029

    I just mounted a 100gal. fuel tank on a 4x6 trailer for my boss to transport aviation fuel for his chopper. It was inspected by the air-port before he could fill it and was deemed safe and legal, No permits required.
  5. Scag48

    Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,067

    It could be state regulated, I know here in WA there are no special permits, but I think you need a placard after you surpass a certain amount of gallons.

    UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,426

    We have transfer tanks made by Weathergard with electric pumps in the pick ups, those carry off road fuel for some ungoldly low amount, and we use a transfer pump which ties into the diesel tanks of the 45-55-6500 crew trucks, so if fuel is needed, all the have to do is pull next to the truck and fire up the pump. No permits required and we are about the most regulated state in the US. My thoughts would be if you could use a transfer pump on the truck tank, knowing when you will need fuel, just keep the truck full and pump it over and eliminate alot of BS..
  7. TerraVenture

    TerraVenture LawnSite Member
    Messages: 144

    I had a fmcsa Dot audit a couple months ago and was told the federal regulations are that you can carry up 119 gallons of diesel and 8 gallons of gasoline without a haz mat license on your cdl. The stupid thing is you can carry as many 8 gallon or 119gallon tanks as you want. But each tank cannot exceed the aforementioned capacities. If you want to carry larger tanks you must have a haz mat cdl license.
  8. ksss

    ksss LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 7,151

    I did not know what the gallon restriction was that is good to know. I have transfer tanks on my trucks that hold 109 gallons each. I have never been hassled by DOT but perhaps individual states have other restrictions. The transfers work well if you have the room for them. On the 5500 I wired the transfer pump to a switch in the cab with a toggle (to prevent theft of fuel) works well. The other tank is more portable and I use a battery pack to power it.
  9. Gravel Rat

    Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 9,544

    Around here its 100 imperial gallons is legal anything above that needs to be a double walled tank etc. The DOT can't do anything to you if the tank is a manufactured tank and its certified for carrying fuel.

    The only thing I would be concerned about is carrying fuel up high I don't know how tall your backpack box is but you may feel that 25 gallons sloshing around. Also I don't know if I would want fuel up above my head if something ever happened it might douse the cab in diesel fuel.

    Around here we use Fill-Rite pumps they seem to last a long time and durable.
  10. playnindirt

    playnindirt LawnSite Member
    Messages: 18

    In mass I beleive you only need placards if the capacity is over 119 gallons of diesel. We have transfer tanks in the back of pick up trucks that carry 105 gallons. All we have is a fire marshall permit which costs about $20.00 per 2 years. All you have to do is go to the local fire station where the vehicle is garaged fill out a simple form and pay them and then they place a sticker on your truck. Very easy takes about 15 minutes. Also make sure the vehicle has a fire extingusher in it as they will require one.

Share This Page