Travertine Pavers over Concrete Advise?

dcarter4

LawnSite Member
Hey All,

Thanks in advance, for any trade people taking the time to respond to my post. I am a LV contractor living in Arizona. I have relied on the advice of the other trades to help me do my home projects. I know enough to get into trouble....and smart enough to call for help before I get in too deep!

My latest project is my pool. Specifically updating a 22 year old pool and the surrounding Hardscape. This was supposed to be my wife’s project...so as usual...it’s my project now!

I have a good pool contractor who will finish my pool with Travertine Coping. That leaves the 900sqft pool deck for me. I looked at regular 2” pavers, but they do not look good with the Travertine copers (plus they are 1” thicker). I have collected quotes from 4 contractors (including the pool company) and while I understand the cost...their quotes are out of my range.
My friend is a GC, so I get the tiles at cost...but that leaves me on the hook for the install. I am still trying to hire a team to do the install, but so far, no takers. Workers are in short supply here in AZ...as I’m sure they are around the country. I guess it ‘s up to me. I have done a lot of tile work, and even some masonry work. I know enough to know, that tiling is different than masonry work..and I’m sure installing pavers is different than both of those!

I will be installing 1.25” Travertine Pavers (4pc Versailles pattern) around the pool and have a few questions? I will be installing over a good concrete base (sand over concrete). We get little rain here and no freezing weather. I currently have a 22 year old drain strip, which I am sure is totally clogged.

• Can I cover the drain with bedding sand or do I need to cut it out of the concrete?
  • The pool copers will be glued down, so do I still need to glue down the outer layer (edge)?
  • Do you recommend sealing the concrete? I have seen some pink looking sealer in some videos?
Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Dwayne

Attachments

• P1011009.jpg
    P1011009.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 47
OP
D

dcarter4

LawnSite Member
Hey All,

Thanks in advance, for any trade people taking the time to respond to my post. I am a LV contractor living in Arizona. I have relied on the advice of the other trades to help me do my home projects. I know enough to get into trouble....and smart enough to call for help before I get in too deep!

My latest project is my pool. Specifically updating a 22 year old pool and the surrounding Hardscape. This was supposed to be my wife’s project...so as usual...it’s my project now!

I have a good pool contractor who will finish my pool with Travertine Coping. That leaves the 900sqft pool deck for me. I looked at regular 2” pavers, but they do not look good with the Travertine copers (plus they are 1” thicker). I have collected quotes from 4 contractors (including the pool company) and while I understand the cost...their quotes are out of my range.
My friend is a GC, so I get the tiles at cost...but that leaves me on the hook for the install. I am still trying to hire a team to do the install, but so far, no takers. Workers are in short supply here in AZ...as I’m sure they are around the country. I guess it ‘s up to me. I have done a lot of tile work, and even some masonry work. I know enough to know, that tiling is different than masonry work..and I’m sure installing pavers is different than both of those!

I will be installing 1.25” Travertine Pavers (4pc Versailles pattern) around the pool and have a few questions? I will be installing over a good concrete base (sand over concrete). We get little rain here and no freezing weather. I currently have a 22 year old drain strip, which I am sure is totally clogged.

• Can I cover the drain with bedding sand or do I need to cut it out of the concrete?
  • The pool copers will be glued down, so do I still need to glue down the outer layer (edge)?
  • Do you recommend sealing the concrete? I have seen some pink looking sealer in some videos?

Sincerely,

Dwayne
All,

I originally posted this in the "Pro" section, because you rarely get the trades to answer on the homeowner sites. I hope one of them does, as this post is getting many views. OP.

Hayduke

LawnSite Bronze Member
Don't take it personally. You won't get much traction in the hardscaping forum either. It's one of the least used forums on Lawnsite..
That being said, why aren't you mortaring the pavers? I've seen it done, but have never liked the idea of dry setting pavers on top of concrete, especially in sand.
If I was to set them on concrete I'd use 1/4 10 gravel as a screed bed. It's called different things around the country

OP
D

dcarter4

LawnSite Member
Don't take it personally. You won't get much traction in the hardscaping forum either. It's one of the least used forums on Lawnsite..
That being said, why aren't you mortaring the pavers? I've seen it done, but have never liked the idea of dry setting pavers on top of concrete, especially in sand.
If I was to set them on concrete I'd use 1/4 10 gravel as a screed bed. It's called different things around the country
Hi! I will mortar in the outer edge. The pool coper is already done, so I will compact the sand in between. The reason I won't mortar in the rest is because my concrete has several control joints. If I mortar over them, they will just crack the travertine, when the slabs shift a bit.

scagman52

LawnSite Senior Member
Hey All,

Sincerely,

Dwayne
Here are a few pics of my pool before and after. The coping was cut around the edges so it was flush and then the new coping was mortered down. Paver sand was spread out very thin and then the pavers were laid down. The sand helped level out some low spots I had. The drain gutter was cut out and a new drain was installed on top of the old drain. The had a new deeper scupper that fit on the old one. Hope this helps! PS I am in central Florida.

Attachments

• 20160802_140132 pool before.jpg
    20160802_140132 pool before.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20161025_190044 POOL 1.jpg
    20161025_190044 POOL 1.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 21

Top Forums