Lawn Care Forum banner

Treating St. Augustine Grass in Texas

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  CTPTURF 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I'm a licensed lawn technician in GA and I mainly do weed control and fertilization on Bermuda, Zoysia, and Fescue, (some centipede). I have
an opportunity to grow my business in Texas (Houston) and have learned that 99.9% percent of the lawns are St. Augustine. I'm trying to put together a treatment program but I'm very unfarmilar with St. Aug and also am not sure if the treatment program needs to be structured based on the region. Can anyone tell me what broadleaf post-emergence are used for broadleaf grasses? I'm familiar with Eliminate-D. I do know that 2,4-D will kill the lawn? Other than that I'm clueless. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

AL

#2 ·
subscribing to follow along on this....

#3 ·
if i were gonna try an figure out what would smoke or not smoke someones lawn i wouldn't just look on here. better talk to your dealer and read lots of labels. i could ask someone i don't know if its ok to spray celcius on fescue and if they say yes go spray it and I'm done. specific questions are one thing. but i would visit my dealer and spend a day reading labels. jmo

#5 ·
Al:
Get to know your turf, I have some good links if you're interesed.
You're probably talking to some of the BEST Southern Grass minds there is on here. Greendoctor is a genius, know more about grass than anyone because of so many degrees of soil and weather in Hawaii , Ric (Florida) knows a lot--been at it since the "Ice Age" but you've got to dig through that hard aZZ surface--he's really a softy underneath--Ric, "you know I respect you" and I'll help. PM me for any specifics.
St. Augustine is a wonderful grass--just respect the growing season--lots of the correct fertilize and herbicides must be used at the right time, right combination and right applications. St. Augustine is susceptible to fungus problems so watch your pH and irrigation because almost all of the applications have to be watered into the soil. Your first applications should be your "Pre-em"
Gallery with a little Dimension
and is the better products because of less root pruning.
Are you spraying or applying granular products?
Roy

#8 ·
Some of the chems you can use are simazine, atrazine, metsulfuron, celsius. You will need to learn about brown patch and chinch bugs also.
....not to mention spittlebugs and grey leaf spot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.