Treatment Program

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Joey M, Aug 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Joey M

Joey M LawnSite Member

I am having trouble setting up my treatment program. This is my first year running my own business, I come out 8x a year. I had it set up alright (or so I thought) then when I went to SiteOne for materials, talking to the guy really has made me second guess my program. Is there anyone in GA willing to share with me their treatment programs schedule, you do not have to include product names or anything but just what type of fert and pre+post em you are using.

2. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

why not post your program and go from there

3. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Member

What turf types? Bermuda and Zoysia? My first thought is 8 steps seems excessive. Most warm season companies stick to 6-7.

Hell I offer a 3 step to property management companies and apartments. No fert included but 3 blanket sprays. Feb, April, and October.

4. Joey M

Joey M LawnSite Member

Yeah Bermuda and Zoysia, all of the companies around here do either 7-8 for all turf types. I think the ones who do 8 just do a lime app for that last treatment. My main thing is just when exactly I need to switch from my feet to start using pre em and post em and vice versa

5. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Member

The whole lime app is a sham. There's a company here that markets it. Why would someone throw down lime with out a soil test? Like wise the minuscule amount they apply does nothing. We all know it takes a lot of lime per 1000 sq feet to significantly raise pH levels.

I do lime apps but only after a soil test determines it's actually needed. This is an extra service usually $40-50 per 50lb bag

Puttinggreens likes this.
  6. Joey M

Joey M LawnSite Member

Same here, my thing with the lime is I do it as the package, the lime would be the same as a treatment price since it is cheaper than the fert but I do charge the fee for the soil test. Obviously those go hand in hand. So it is more of an add on for me. It is odd to me though that they will just put down lime with out any type of consideration of maybe instead of lime it might need sulfur. lol

7. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

Lime is pretty important when put down properly, it aerifies soil over the winter with freezing and thawing. It also provides calcium and magnesium, the synthetic fertilizers your putting down acidity the soil over time and lime corrects that. Ct has soil that is low on the ph scale except the northwest corner and I apply synthetic fertilizers, I lime most lawns every year and the clients who have 4-5 apps per season get it every other year. I use prograde chelated lime , it only has to be put down at 5-10 lbs per 1000. Soil ph is the name of the game in lawncare.

Joey M and hort101 like this.
  8. ColonialRVA

ColonialRVA LawnSite Member

I do lime apps but only after a soil test determines it's actually needed. This is an extra service usually $40-50 per 50lb bag[/QUOTE]

40-50 per bag?? wow

9. ETM

ETM LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GEORGIA

So is fert a sham? Shouldn’t you do a soil test as well before you spread fert to find out what every yard actually needs?

10. Steven Harnois

Steven Harnois LawnSite Member

Easy way to set yourself apart is when you are aerating take a gallon ziplock bag and collect soil samples for each property, build the soil test cost into your service. Then you can have a solid understanding of what their property is lacking and needs. Makes you stand out from the rest. Also makes it easier to upsell lime or sulfur if needed.

Seltzer likes this.