1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tree farming

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by Gene $immons, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I have around 4000 square foot of yard space outside of my shop where I would like to grow some trees. I want to buy the trees small and cheap and let them grow for 4 or 5 years before selling them.

Has anyone done something like this, and what advice do you have on the kind of trees, the containers required, and the spacing between trees. I figured that I would only be able to order around 70 to 80 trees due to the area I'm working with.

I have also requested some information from one of the larger wholesale growers in our state.

Thanks!!

2. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

Check out high caliper or rootmaker in ground grow bags. Grow things that you need. I opted for fast growing screen type and other trees I use a lot of and also stuff that I cannot buy cheap. Usually if you buy 2.5" plants you usually have minimums of each variety. May have to go with 1 gallon if you want to grow a variety.

3. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

Try forest keeling nursery nw of st louis. They 3 gal rpm trees almost any kind you want. Good products.

Good Luck

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

you'll likely need to be permitted and inspected by your state's dept of ag

5. quickmow

quickmow LawnSite Member

I would not grow trees, too much time tying up your valuable and limited space. However, perennials turn quick and you can pack a lot into that small space. I would buy perennial liners bare root or plugs, grow them for one season and then use them on jobs. We have been doing that for a few years now and it saves a lot of time going to nursery only to be told they don't have the variety or quantity that you need. Plus, you make good money on them. More $$/sf than trees, I can guarantee you that.

6. Gene $immons

good points...thanks

7. allinearth

Quickmow, Do you have some figures to back that up? I would be interested how you come up with that.

8. quickmow

quickmow LawnSite Member

For trees:
    4000 SF = 160 trees at 5' x 5' spacing (assume pot in pot growing system)
    160 trees x $150 each = $24000 gross after 2-3 years growing time to 2" cal.
    Liners cost $2400 ($15 each) Pots and growing media cost?

For Perennials (one gallon size):
    1.5 per SF = 6000 gallon size pots grown for one season and sold at $6.00 each = $42000 gross
    Liner cost is $9000 (at $1.50 each) = $33,000 net in one year

Of course, deduct your labor and materials costs for both scenarios, but you see where this is going. We grow a lot of hosta, daylily, rudbeckia, and echinacea - all of which we use a lot and now don't have to go to the nursery to get these.

9. Gene $immons

Sorry to ask a dumb question. What are the liners, and what is their purpose?
    Thanks.

10. allinearth

I see where you are coming from. But, most small companies will not come close to using 6000 perrenials a year. I would say planting and caring for 6000 perenials would be a whole lot more labor intensive than 160 trees. Still probably would come out better but maybe not as good as your numbers.