Tree rings

Spudman89

LawnSite Member
I moved up from a 48" rider to a JD z915e with 60" deck for our acreage. I'm not thrilled with the cut quality, especially around trees. I'll go around once then do a second circle about a half deck width further out and still get a ring that's about a half inch shorter than the surrounding grass. What gives? Do I just need to adjust my expectations from a larger 60" deck?

Tire pressure is correct and I've leveled the deck per the manual. Just resharpened the blades. Everyone seems to praise this 7 iron deck, but right now I prefer the cut off the 48" edge residential deck on my old gt245. That 48" also striped a lot better...

FWIW, this is a used unit with 90hrs on it. Was planning on buying new but found this locally with iso seat, zglide forks, rear weight, and hitch already installed for $5600.

IMG_20190807_194005.jpg

Last edited:

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
It is just the angle of the ground coming up to the trunk. When you switch to a bigger deck it becomes a little less forgiving in dips and bumps and angles. You are talking about a 60 inch straight line as apposed to a 48 straight line. You just need to learn what the machine is capable of doing and work within that parameter rather than making it do the things you want and it can't do it.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
mowing circles around trees is not really the proper way to mow. trees always throw the mowing off a little bit as the ground near them isn't level like the rest of the lawn is. that's why you see many yards with mulch beds around trees extended out several feet from the base of the tree.

you could try not mowing so close to the trunk of the tree and just do a little more trimming around the base of the tree.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
Think adding rear gage wheels to the deck would help?
deere mowers already have those.

what is happening is that when you mow around the tree the wheels closest to the tree are riding up on the higher ground which pushes the side of the deck away from the tree downward causing it to mow down into the grass further on that side.

just try to mow without making circles around the trees at all. that's the best way to do it.

honestly there is some truth to what you said before. it's easier to get a good mow with a residential mower than it is with a commercial mower especially when the deck is smaller in width. there is a bit of a learning curve when going from a smaller deck to a larger one. you have to be more careful the larger the deck is because it's easier to scalp and such with the imperfections in a lawn.

Last edited:
OP
S

Spudman89

LawnSite Member
The deck on the 915e doesn't have the rear wheels. I think you have to go to the 930 to get those, but they have them as an add-on option for the 915. I'll see if I can't switch up my morning pattern... Without adding much more time. Lol.

Smokindog

LawnSite Senior Member
Most trees I have are "ringed" in stone and mulch to a couple feet out (flat). I do have 2 tress in the back (St. Aug) like you show and for my mower it is the up slope that's the problem, even with rear gauge/anti-scalp wheels properly adjusted. I just raise the deck one notch (1/2" on my consumer mower) as I go around the tree and all is well.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
The deck on the 915e doesn't have the rear wheels. I think you have to go to the 930 to get those, but they have them as an add-on option for the 915. I'll see if I can't switch up my morning pattern... Without adding much more time. Lol.
ok that one doesn't have them. really i don't think adding them would make much difference in this case as it's the side of the deck that digs into the grass not the rear corners of the deck. it may help some though who knows? i think others have added them on somehow.

you could feather the deck with the foot lift pedal as you are mowing around but that takes practice.