1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Tree roots growing wild

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by zenn68, Apr 11, 2010.

1. zenn68

zenn68 LawnSite Member

Hope this is in the right section. I'm a homeowner, in a few places trough out my yard I have tree roots grown across the lawn sticking halfway up out of the surface each about 10-12ft long. They are unsightly and make it hard to cut the grass, have to be careful around them so I don't catch the blades. Is there a known good way to deal with them? I'm thinking of taking a chainsaw to them cutting into smaller chunks and prying them out. Thought I would ask here first. Any suggestions.

2. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not recommend cutting them!!! The way we deal with surface roots is to cover them with top soil, sow new seed, and create a mulch bed around the tree. Otherwise, remove the offensive tree, and replace with a deep root type...Or no tree at all.

3. GrassStitcher

GrassStitcher LawnSite Member

I agree, you will never stop those roots, they will always emerge, cutting will possibly kill topsoiling with grass seed won't last. Best solution is a better tree or mulch the area and keep the grass out.