1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

tree work

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OBRYANMAINT, Sep 30, 2000.

1. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

we seldom talk about it
    does any one do it on a regular basis?how did you learn to climb properly?

2. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

That's a main part of my business. Not something to take lightly, if you want to learn, go work for a quality company part-time or in the winter. Alot of companies around here are hard up for help, so they might go for a part-timer. there are a couple outfits that train climbers, but i don't know if they'll take somebody with no experience.It's pretty expensive,Arbormasters 403-224-3772. I learned on the job, 1rst year only doing groundwork. I climbed for 2 years before going on my own.

3. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I learned my climbing at a Penn State Cooperative extension. The instrcutors were very good and they had me climbing the first day. I learned alot more than climbing and felt that it was worth the money. ($225, If I remember correctly). It was a 5 day course (8 hrs. a day). I learned proper pruning techniques, planting and mulching. Call your local cooperative extension agent and see if they have a course scheduled (usually in the fall). You will most likely have to buy rope, saddle, carabiners, safety lanyard, helmet, throw rope and ball, and a hand saw with sheath. When I entered the class, I saw the instructor way up and said to my self "what the hell am I doing here". But if you do eroll, just remember that your not alone and don't give up.

4. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

If you can find someone you trust, sub the work and get a cut for yourself. If you fall, you could be out with a broken bone or sprain for some time. Since there aren't many people who do this, or at least do it right anyway, you can make a lot of money at it.