Trench drain rocks washed away

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by BryanJ, Jun 27, 2018.

1. BryanJ

BryanJ LawnSite Member

Looking for advice for storm water drainage. I installed a mulch bed with emerald green trees parallel to a fence. Storm came and washed away a good portion of mulch. I dug a 7" wide 2" deep channel and filled it with gravel/rock. Storm came and washed away a good portion of gravel.

Before I gather up the rock and redo the job, I need to know what mistake I made. Is my trench too shallow or is my rock too light or both? See pictures for further detail (pay no mind to the weeds!)

I appreciate your help.

2. hal

hal LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

Put rip rap or larger river rock in (like 4 - 6 inch) to slow the water down. You don't have to dig it up or replace the gravel. Do you mow over it? Pics won't show

3. BryanJ

BryanJ LawnSite Member

Hal, I changed the photo album from Private to Public. Do the Pics show up now?

No, it's not mowed over.

4. hal

hal LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

Just put bigger river rock in to make like a brook, could be bigger ones like 12"+ not many like 8 create mini dams, (porous though) to let water through. Pics show

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The faster and bigger the volume of water--the bigger rocks you need. Take a look at dry creek beds in Arizona. They have a flash flood every couple years, from heavy rains up in the mountains. All the soil and small rocks are washed away, downstream. Only the really big rocks remain. The bigger the rocks in the dry stream bed--the more dangerous is the flash flood when it happens.

I am sure somebody has pictures.

6. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Not to hurt your feelings but there's a saying. Rocks in beds=rocks in head

phasthound likes this.