1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about enhanced efficiency fertilizers with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trenches for brick edging

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Mar 19, 2017 at 1:16 AM.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

What trencher do you use to create the shallow trench needed to install brick edging? Or do most of you dig it by hand?

2. brycez28

brycez28 LawnSite Member

I personally dig by hand. I do believe that I saw a machine at the 2017 ILandscape in Chicago, but it was way out of my price range for the amount I'd use it.

3. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Senior Member

4. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on the job, we either dig by hand or use a Brown Bed Edger with the appropriate blade.

5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Brown bed edger with the beveled blade. I make 2 passes side by side and then clean it up with a mattock. This time of year digging by hand may be faster as the bed edger will bind full of mud.

hort101 likes this.
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Does the Brown make a nice vertical outside edge or do you have to square up the trench with a spade?

7. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Nice square edge. The inside is beveled, maybe 30°.

8. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a rotor that cuts a nice square corner on both sides of the trench with a flat bottom for my bed edger. I still go back and shave the inner edge with a shovel to taper it halfway down the depth of the block. Works very well with bullet edgers.