1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Tricky Valve Repair

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, May 18, 2007.

  1. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,496

    Had this one yesterday. Needed to replace the entire valve and it was fed through the bottom from the main line. Plumbers years ago had also come out the back side of the valve to provided supply water to a couple of QCVs in the area. After coming out the back side with a 2" galvanized nipple they set an isolation valve for the QCVs.

    Had to do some creative piping and double back on the lateral side to get upstream of a tee. What made it worse was that there were a lot of roots from Coastal Redwood trees that used to be in the area but didn't survive.

    GWHS Valve A-11 Replace IV-01.jpg

    GWHS Valve A-11 Replace IV-02.jpg

    GWHS Valve A-11 Replace IV-03.jpg
  2. hoskm01

    hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,690

    Nice doings Purp. Im stuck on graveyards at the PD here, what is your excuse for being up at 321AM?
  3. Flow Control

    Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,267

    Looks good, wouldn't pass for a new install here though with the architects in this area.
  4. londonrain

    londonrain LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,129

    I work with tiny pipe and you work with tiny tree roots...
    There is a DCVA in the box that is encased in tree roots and now has a cracked fitting. We rerouted the main and moved the DCVA.....
    Pic of the MA that was deformed from the pressure of the tree roots....
    The force of the roots crushed the box and cracked the lid...


  5. WalkGood

    WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,910

    Might sound like a dumb question.... QCV = Quick Connect Valve??? If so I have not come across these around here. We use Hunter products and I do see Toro and Irritrol stuff. Once found Nelson square valves that just threaded into a pvc tee.

    Are QCV good or bad? What's the attraction for QCV's? Or is it just another product?

    Maybe I just do not understand what QCV is all about.
  6. Mike Leary

    Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 23,087

    A "quick-couple" or "quick-connect" valve is usually brass & installed on a
    mainline to give spot watering where no automatic irrigation exists, or is not
    needed regularly. It is activated from the top with a "key", also brass.
    It can be used with a hose or sprinkler on a riser. Used widely on schools, golf & commercial properties. We've installed them on large estates, also.
    We install them on all of our systems on a brass swing joint just downstream
    of the backflow assembly & use it to insert our air compressor for winterize.
    The nice feature of a Q.C. is, when the key is removed, the q.c. in a valve
    box cannot be dinked with by the kiddies..they do come w/locking cover.
    If buying one, always get a "two-piece", it can be field serviced.
  7. WalkGood

    WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,910

    Thank you for that explanation. Clears up things for me now.
  8. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,496

    Thanks... Actually, your 3:21 am is our 4:21 am since we DST and you don't in AZ. We start work at 5:30 am so I usually get up around 3:45. :)
  9. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,496

    I do work with large roots from time to time. That's when I get in trouble from Sheshovel for backhoeing through them. :laugh:

    Some of the weirdest things are discovered distorted by tree roots.
  10. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,496

    Actually, we still have four school sites where the QCVs are layed out in a pattern (usually 50' spacings) just like any other irrigation system and the QC keys with 1" impact sprinklers are the sole method of watering the field. A typical set will be 12 impacts set at the same time in a given area. Most of our other ones have them located at various places for water access as we do not install hose bibbs due to them being a safety hazard.

    Somehow the plumbers that used to work on them here referred to them as "kickers" probably because the adjustable impacts kicked back. It's very confusing when we get a work order for a "broken kicker" and don't know if they're referring to the QCV in the ground, the QC key or the 1" impact. It got so bad that I had to do up a CAD drawing of the parts with their proper names that was distributed to all site custodians and grounds workers. We now instantly reject any work order that refers to kickers.

    Both the "two piece" single slot and the "one piece" double slot QCVs can be field serviced. The only field service that can be done on either of them without turning the water off is the replacement of the upper seal that seals against the key.

    If you have a "weeper" where either the bottom seal, seat or spring has gone bad you will have to turn the water off whether replacing or repairing. Weepers are often corrected by blowing out the debris with the use of a key and hose swivel.

Share This Page