Trim 100 bushes price?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by CLT Bluesman, Jun 13, 2018.

1. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

One guy trimming and 2 cleaning and you should be done in 4 hours. Try to upsell a mulch install, bed prep and pre emergiant. Based on the pics. 12 hours labor and $100 haul off fee.

2. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

$20/shrub then calculate bed size(s) and upsell mulch.

3. Gus McGee

Gus McGee LawnSite Member

Is it literally 100 bushes, or are you exaggerating? If it is actually 100 shrubs to be trimmed, depending on how much they need to be cleaned up, the size, or if they have topiaries, I would charge a full 2 days labor for 2 men at a minimum, unless the majority of the shrubs are on the small side.

If you guys can knock out 100 shrubs in a day and actually make it look really nice, you should win an award.

4. CLT Bluesman

CLT Bluesman LawnSite Member

It’s 90 to 100. Didn’t count them all. I think I am not going to take the job. I cut lawns and trim the occasional shrub.

Greencuts518 likes this.
  5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Good money on the table there.

Mark Stark, hort101 and BMWNJ like this.
  6. BMWNJ

BMWNJ LawnSite Member

Don't turn the job down. If you're unsure you want to do it then give them a price that you want for the job if you were to do it. If it's high and they don't bite then who cares, you didn't want to do it but if they bite then you got yourself a nice payday lined up.

I did this recently w a property w a lot of shrub trimming. I didn't want to do it so I gave her an estimate on the high end. She didn't bite right away and said she'd get back to me. 6 weeks later the shrubs are still untrimmed. If she calls me eventually then great, if not oh well, there's other places to make money.

hort101 likes this.
  7. AL's

AL's LawnSite Senior Member

None of that looks really overgrown and everything has a good general shape to it... beds look like bare dirt from what I can tell? Like they're getting ready for mulch install... so cleanup will be easier without having to tarp you can just rake clippings right out.

Doesn't look like that hard of a job at all really, but I guess it depends on how efficient you are with the trimmers. I'd say 2 guys 6 hours plus $75 dump fee. For me that would be $885 total.

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

How many bushes per hour?
    8?
    10?
    That’s at least 10 hours
    Plus fifty percent fit clean up
    15 x 60
    That’s $900

9 bucks a Bush

9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

A couple grand to trim shrubs is too much

The key is to find a equitable price that the customer feels comfortable repeating as shrubs are more than once a year.

Three times per year would be $2700
    If they let them go long a couple grand might be it..
    But you want to do a little and keep them maintained
    Just like mowing
    You don’t want to cut over grown lawns

10. CLT Bluesman

CLT Bluesman LawnSite Member

Ok. We are going to bid $850 but go no lower than $800. If he accepts then I will go buy the Kombi articulating hedge trimmer for my FS 90 trimmer. I don’t use it anymore as a trimmer anyway. It’s just sitting as a spare on a spare.

He said he paid 500 last time and was not happy and willing to pay more.

TP is right. Find the price that’s fair and keeps us coming back. Thanks TP

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018 at 10:25 AM
    BMWNJ, hort101 and TPendagast like this.