Trim or mow first?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mporche, May 20, 2017.

1. mporche

mporche LawnSite Member

What do you do first?

2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Normally mow first. On first time cuts or overgrown lawns trim first to find obstacles, etc.

3. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Jersey

Mow 1st definitely. The trimmer does a great job of cutting grass, that the mower could not get at, at the exact same height, that the mower is set at for that particular lawn.

The mower can not always fit into an area & cut the grass, where the trimmer did not get, and you can not raise or lower the mower on the fly to cut at the height the trimmer did.

4. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Bronze Member

On a properly maintained lawn mow first. The clippings won't be long enough to be noticeable when done. I also find I don't give myself nearly the amount of credit I deserve if I trim first. I trim way to far from objects and around lots of stuff not needed.
    On a overgrown lawn I will trim first. This way when I go back and mow, I chop up the long clippings.

5. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Platinum Member

One Solo guy here Blows all the Hard Surfaces then Trims then Mows w/bag then Trims Again then Blows. He's been doing it For Years and it takes him A Very Long Time so not sure how he makes any $$$

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Bet his clients love him.

7. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on a few factors...

I know where my mower will and won't reach so I can do it either way however if the lawn is tall, which I try avoiding overgrown lawns, I will weedeat first to knock down the tall weeds so that I can run over them with the mower mulching them up. Also with tall lawns I will also do the curbs and other hard surfaces first especially with Bermuda or other running grasses then take my blower and blow everything into the lawn then mow. I obviously charge more for all the extra work

Now when doing my weekly lawns I will almost always mow first because when edging curbs, driveways and sidewalks it looks better to edge last otherwise when the mower runs over the nice straight edge it will flatten them out.

When it comes 100° days with super high humidity I will trim first and this is the reasoning...it's super hot/humid so when driving to a job I am nice and cool from the A/C then I jump out and weedeat first because my body has been cooled by the A/C . When done weedeating I am super hot again but cool off some by then jumping on the mowers. I am then relatively cool after mowing...rinse repeat.

That's what works for me

8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

This man has a plan!

9. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

lol...I have spent many a hour thinking about it. Those 100° days separate the men from the boys and doing 9 or 10 lawns solo on those days forces one to think about such things.

10. mporche

mporche LawnSite Member

I trim first on my normal yards and cut first on new yards.

HawkZ28 likes this.