Trimmer guard on or off

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
My old sthil fs80r is about to wear out. I love that the guard is a little wider than the echo redmax or shindiawa. See some of you run a trimmer without a guard.

Why do you take the guard off? Advantages of running no guard?
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
i leave mine on. when i worked for another company in college we always took them off. i don't really know the reason why. sometimes with them off you would get too much string out and it would bog the engine down. the main reason for the guard is to cut the line to the proper length. as far as the weight i don't think the guard weighs enough to make that much of a difference. :laugh:

hi_speedreed

LawnSite Senior Member
If you do a quick search there is a thread titled running trimmer with guard off. It has 279 posts. Should give you all the info you need w/o rehashing the argument. Guys who are adamant about running with or w/o a guard are never going to switch to the other side. If you use it great, if you don't that's great too.
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
i leave mine on. when i worked for another company in college we always took them off. i don't really know the reason why. sometimes with them off you would get too much string out and it would bog the engine down. the main reason for the guard is to cut the line to the proper length. as far as the weight i don't think the guard weighs enough to make that much of a difference. :laugh:
Didn't learn much about trimmers. The guard and knife is not needed to cut cord off, it wears off. And you really can't trim or edge very well with the guard on. Thus the big companies with guards on use edgers. I recant the trim part ....you would be slow oh so slow. Oh maybe you don't run Echo and have the stupid speed head:hammerhead:

Snyder's Lawn Inc

LawnSite Platinum Member
Mine is off but I dont run bumper feed heads
On my FS110 I run poly cut heads 3 poly blade with about 16-20'' string Been doing this setup since we started to mow in 1984
With out the guard I trim on back side of thehead that I dont walk around every tree