1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

trimmer head

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big Bad Bob, May 17, 2008.

1. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

A short while back there was a discussion about a trimmer head that you just slide a given length of line through and crank the line onto the spool. Since, at this point, I am too lazy to search, could someone link me to that thread?

2. JKUCSMA

JKUCSMA LawnSite Member
    Male, from OHIO

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Hard if not impossible to tell how much line left until you are out....so on big jobs bring along line. We tested one for a year and it was okay....but went back to using the Echo bump plenty good.

4. Bennett scape

Bennett scape LawnSite Member

bump feeds are the only way to go. Those auto cut heads work only about 0.1 percent of the time.

5. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with not being able to see how much line. I was doing a big lawn and was very far from my string. So guess what happened? I ran out of string. So I always carry some with me now.

6. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

lol, seems like that aways happens! weed trimming, run out of gas at the farest part of the yard away from your trailer, or blowing when your done. I always check the fuel before i start each lawn now! LOL

7. Bennett scape

Bennett scape LawnSite Member

yeah i always do too

8. K/B

K/B LawnSite Senior Member

Do your research...The Speed-Feed is a bump head, not an auto cut.

9. Arkansaslawn

Arkansaslawn LawnSite Member

i bought 4 242x's this year and i love themand so do my guys. im buying 4 more and also picked up 4 8510 turbo blowers...

Shindawa makes a quailty product..no more stihl for me....

10. rplawnservice

rplawnservice LawnSite Member

I have had a trimmer head where you slide in a given amount of line. Yes it is easier but you waste a lot of line. about 3 inches. I now have an Echo bump head and I love it. I load about 2, 10ft lines in and run it a looooooooooooooonng time.