1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Trimmer heads

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dfor, Apr 29, 2000.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

What type of trimmer heads are you guys using on your trimmers? Do you prefer one type over the other? I currently use the manual feed head (shindaiwa t-230) and was wondering how the bump feed heads work.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We use Shindaiwa bump feed on the T270's and they work nice.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

3. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Bump for sure. Youll go through a little more line, but you save lots of time, and time is money. <br>I always have an extra legnth of line in my back pocket so I dont have to walk back to the truck. If I am working by myself I have an extra spool in a belt pack. And I also have several legnths already cut and wound with a piece of tape around them.

4. grasscapeinc

grasscapeinc LawnSite Member

Definately go bump feed. You will not go through too much line, and good quality ones work great. Stay away from auto feed, those goes through serious line on a chain link fence.

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I like the bump head too. I used a manual for a while and it's ok if you are using .105, but it still takes more time.

6. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

I've been runing Shindaiwa weed eaters for ever and every one i've ever had with bump heads vibrated. Not real bad but enough to bother me. So I use the manual. Alone in a crowd.<p>----------<br>Bobby <br>Ft Lauderdale

7. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

humpty dumpty used the bumpty<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

8. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

I tried the manual twist feed heads and the bump feed and they both drove me nuts.Great when they're working but a bastard to put more line into. I use an aluminium head that <br>takes a single piece of line about 18&quot; long.<br>I get ages out of 1 piece of line and I get<br>about 12 months out of a head.<p>Karl<br>

9. TylerAssociatesLLC

TylerAssociatesLLC LawnSite Member

where do you guys buy your trimmer heads from?? how much?

10. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I run Stihl trimmers and got tired of fighting with line all the time so I switched to plastic blades.I will never go back to line.