Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
At the moment, Stihl CF3 Pro .105.

I've used .095" Stihl X-line for years. Tried Black Diamond .095" and was not impressed.

I've been buying short rolls recently to try various string out.

One day I went from .105 CF3 Pro to a coil of X-line, and immediately noticed more noise from the X-line. IE - less aerodynamic = more load on the engine.

The CF3 Pro also doesn't seem to weld in the spool. X-line and even Black Diamond seemed pretty bad about this. I haven't had a single weld with the CF3 Pro.

I think I'm going to stick with it for a while. So far, I really like it.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Black Diamond .105 is my favorite general trimmer line. The cut is cleaner than any other line I’ve used (X-Line, CF3, Stihl Round, Crossfire, Husqvarna Titanium) and it lasts for a while too. I’ve found that the trick for BD is to let it dry out for a while ,and it’ll last much longer than when it was brand new.

For overgrown properties, I’ve started using .130 Oregon Magnum Gatorline Supertwist. It doesn’t cut quite as clean as the BD, but on overgrown yards it’s the ticket for a long lasting line. It’ll really help to have a high power trimmer to run this stuff.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
I used to use Echo Crossfire, but a year or so ago I tried Echo Black Diamond after reading a thread just like this one.

I liked it enough to switch. It definitely lasts longer than Crossfire.

(Pretty sure I tried that Oregon stuff posted above and was very impressed, but the price was more than I wanted to spend)

·
Registered
24,831 Posts
At the moment, Stihl CF3 Pro .105.

I've used .095" Stihl X-line for years. Tried Black Diamond .095" and was not impressed.

I've been buying short rolls recently to try various string out.

One day I went from .105 CF3 Pro to a coil of X-line, and immediately noticed more noise from the X-line. IE - less aerodynamic = more load on the engine.

The CF3 Pro also doesn't seem to weld in the spool. X-line and even Black Diamond seemed pretty bad about this. I haven't had a single weld with the CF3 Pro.

I think I'm going to stick with it for a while. So far, I really like it.

Interesting as I have used BD since it came out and never have welding with it. Ever. I wasn't impressed with how long it lasted until I found out by accidemt that letting it dry out for several months makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
24,831 Posts
I switch back and forth between Oregon Gator Magnum Super Twist ( the grey line with the aramid cord in the center) and BD. Mainly BD because it cuts so fast and clean, but I have a seriously cracked up parking lot that I have to whip about once a month and the Oregon line lasts better for that.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went between small rolls of the Oregon .95 and the cf3 all last season and just made my mind up on this stuff last week. I think it has better “float”, doesn’t “buzz or whizz” and I don’t catch myself cranking or clipping. Both cut similar imo- although I do prefer the smooth line for vertical trimming.

i see lots of diamond love! I think maybe I’ve passed this up because it’s marked up at my local. Does this stuff buzz like other squarish lines?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like the Shakespeare Ballistic line in .105. It seems to hold up well for me in high grass/light brush. Ran out of that earlier this year and have been using a pack of Arnold maxi edge in .105. Cuts decent but doesn't seem to hold up as well as the Shakespeare line to me. I seem to have to bump the head more often with the Arnold.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have tried a number of lines but my Echo 2620 seems to do best with black diamond. The .095 seems to work better than the .105 and that surprised me.
I've always used .095 in my Echo 2620T. I've considered .105 but never tried it.

What did you find different about the .105 that surprised you? In past threads many have preferred .105 over .095

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
I just replaced the spool/head on my DeWalt cordless and it came pre-loaded with that real skinny stuff. Gah! I should have pulled it off and put the .095 Black Diamond in it.

It will be gone soon enough though.

The Black Diamond feeds well in my Stihl and my DeWalt, so being that it lasts longer than Crossfire AND feeds reliably in both trimmers, I don't really have a reason to look for anything else.

·
Premium Member
4,681 Posts
In .095:
When edging, Oregon Platinum SuperTwist is more durable than BD.

Reactions: Cam15 and MILLC

·
Premium Member
4,681 Posts
Apparently I am.......as well as every other LCO around here as I've only EVER seen one gas powered stick edger in action since the 70s.
Not counting the homeowners w/ their corded units, mind you. lol

Reactions: Cam15
1 - 20 of 139 Posts