Lawn Care Forum banner
61 - 80 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
Anyone notice the more cutting edges a line has, the more 'grabby' it is when walking along. My lower cc Echo trimmer cannot handle edgy line well, the line tends to grab and walk along instead of trim, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Been running the oregon platinum gator line that was pictured in the first post.

3 years in and it's done quite well! Cost me $35 a roll last year. Just looked to see what a new roll is and it's gone up 10 bucks.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
For me Black Diamond beats Crossfire, no comparison.Have you tried Black Diamond?
For myself, I hadn't noticed the "cut quality" on either of those - I mean, there's barely anything that I'm trimming off to worry about cut quality - but the Black Diamond is absolutely lasting me longer than the Crossfire did and that's a bigger deal to me.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Anyone notice the more cutting edges a line has, the more 'grabby' it is when walking along. My lower cc Echo trimmer cannot handle edgy line well, the line tends to grab and walk along instead of trim, if you know what I mean.
Which way do you travel around objects? I've really only had that happen when travelling CCW around objects. (Assuming a straight-shaft trimmer.) Walking CW around objects, and just about any string performs well.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Been running the oregon platinum gator line that was pictured in the first post.

3 years in and it's done quite well! Cost me $35 a roll last year. Just looked to see what a new roll is and it's gone up 10 bucks.
I am not surprised we agree on this line! We seem to service the same type of properties and see eye to eye on a lot of this stuff

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ive tried a few types and brands over the last 10 years or so and I am currently using the Echo BD on .095" on my light trimmer and .105" on my heavy. I like the way it cuts, it flies true and is quiet. The Shakespeare ugly line and the Oregon line I ran before lasted a bit longer than the BD but I will stick to the BD for now, I like it alot.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
BD constantly breaks on me and i have to constantly bump the head when doing work in the cemetery. But outside of that work it does ok i do like crossfire better in the cemetery but rotary vortex line is the longest lasting for me and when it strikes a object it doesn't break.

Reactions: MILLC

·
Registered
305 Posts
BD constantly breaks on me and i have to constantly bump the head when doing work in the cemetery. But outside of that work it does ok i do like crossfire better in the cemetery but rotary vortex line is the longest lasting for me and when it strikes a object it doesn't break.
The rotary is what I was going to try next. Hows it cut compared to BD?

Reactions: Wells mowing

·
Registered
24,783 Posts
Try Oregon Gator Magnum Supertwist or Platinum ST for the cemetery work.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Ive tried a few types and brands over the last 10 years or so and I am currently using the Echo BD on .095" on my light trimmer and .105" on my heavy. I like the way it cuts, it flies true and is quiet. The Shakespeare ugly line and the Oregon line I ran before lasted a bit longer than the BD but I will stick to the BD for now, I like it alot.
I've always used BD .095 in my Echo 2620T. I cut a lot of overgrown dense grass and weeds.

What would be the noticeable difference if I went to .105.

·
Registered
24,783 Posts
I've always used BD .095 in my Echo 2620T. I cut a lot of overgrown dense grass and weeds.

What would be the noticeable difference if I went to .105.
I know you didn't ask me, but I can tell you the .105" lasts a bit longer before wearing down or breaking off. It isn't night and day, but there's a little difference, and for guys that do this for a living and use a lot of line, that can make a difference, not to mention not being as frustrated by needing to re-spool as often or at an inopportune moment.

61 - 80 of 131 Posts