Lawn Care Forum banner
81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've always used BD .095 in my Echo 2620T. I cut a lot of overgrown dense grass and weeds.

What would be the noticeable difference if I went to .105.
I do notice it lasts a bit longer and holds up against the power of my Stihl KM130 better than the .095" does in the thick stuff. I prefer the .095" in my Maruyama light trimmer, it flies straight and cuts clean.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I know you didn't ask me, but I can tell you the .105" lasts a bit longer before wearing down or breaking off. It isn't night and day, but there's a little difference, and for guys that do this for a living and use a lot of line, that can make a difference, not to mention not being as frustrated by needing to re-spool as often or at an inopportune moment.
Would the small difference in size from .095 to .105 have any noticeable effect on the amount of power output from trimmer? Basically, would it take more power to spin .105 verses .095?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I do notice it lasts a bit longer and holds up against the power of my Stihl KM130 better than the .095" does in the thick stuff. I prefer the .095" in my Maruyama light trimmer, it flies straight and cuts clean.
I love my maruyama I just wish I could take the trigger set from my stihl and mount that. I’m ROUGH on my FS and haven’t gotten myself to be rough with the Maruyama. I do like it on days when im doing big properties and am not setting it down/kicking it up repeatedly like i do with the FS

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I run .105 on my 260 for maintenance cuts just because it lasts longer than .095, it’ll just burn up .080 like nothing. There’s no difference in power between .095 and .105 with my 260 either, but it will bog down versus my 131R with .130 line, but that’s to be expected when comparing a 25cc 2 stroke to a 36cc 4 stroke. The 131 gets .130 simply because that thick of line doesn’t even come close to phasing it, it knows no difference between .095 and .130, so may as well run the thick stuff for longevity on overgrown yards.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Which way do you travel around objects? I've really only had that happen when travelling CCW around objects. (Assuming a straight-shaft trimmer.) Walking CW around objects, and just about any string performs well.
CW. I don't have an issue with the KM110. But the 2620 sometimes grabs and walks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If anyone uses a trimmer head that takes a pre-cut length of line and really wants to experiment, go to a music store and buy a single bass guitar string (or see if they'll give you a used one for free). You can get them in .080 to .105 and larger in .005 increments. Snip off the ball end and go to town.

·
Registered
100 Posts
0.095-in Titanium X-Pro Spooled Trimmer Line; lasts a long time and works great for me on my husqvarna 324ldx with trimmer; I have over 1000' of edging to do every week on our own property alone.

Ordered the husqvarna ra850 weed scissor attachment yesterday for safer edging which is expected by end of this week.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Anyone else use the scissors? How are they? Do they work well?
FYI: Similar scissors attachments are made/sold by other brands such as Stihl etc. I don't have an exhaustive list but believe they work well, they are a little expensive no doubt. I'll have a review available for the husqvarna ra850 sometime next week after I get to use it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
FYI: Similar scissors attachments are made/sold by other brands such as Stihl etc. I don't have an exhaustive list but believe they work well, they are a little expensive no doubt. I'll have a review available for the husqvarna ra850 sometime next week after I get to use it.
Yes please. Let us know how well they work.
I probably wont pick one up for my KM111, but i am curious how they are.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
I didn’t like that they left the clippings in the trim line. Traditional trimmers (without the guard), when working in the correct direction will bring trimmings into the “cut” area without needing a blower. Week after week I saw the scissors being an issue and returned it.

edit- I was not edging with it tho. I can see that being a good use.

·
Registered
24,787 Posts
I am seriously considering getting the Stihl version. I think they are a great choice for trimming alongside old, wavy vinyl siding, pool screens, screened in porches etc. Plus they don't beat aluminum siding to death either like I see done with trimmer line on older homes where the siding often goes down below the grass level . No good along chain link though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm hoping it will be useful for my purpose especially in areas where I need to watch for stones etc. Since I always trim before mowing (this is by my choice), I'm not worried about trimmings being in the cut area since they will get sucked up by my mowers anyway. Where I expect to find the scissors particularly useful is for trimming grass along the inside edges of our very long flower beds which are also lined with lawn edging on the inside too; we use river rock instead of mulch in all flower beds, a permanent solution. Perhaps I'm not the best operator but with the line trimmer I always end up with some grass clippings on the river rock and if excessive (depending on grass height which I maintain at 3 1/2"), I often need to blow them back into the lawn prior to mowing; likewise it would be useful for areas where I would want to avoid accidental string damage like at composite deck steps etc. and hope the new attachment does not go to waste.
Below are pics I just took on this dull day in the PNW, of our front west lawns, beds and one of the front east lawn; theres a whole lot more and I love working on it with the best possible tools I have.
Plant Sky Natural landscape Leaf Natural environment

Cloud Sky Plant Building Window
Flower Plant Leaf Road surface Tree

Sky Plant Cloud Nature Tree

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
I guess I should have been more clear - the clippings stay where they are - like up against the fence or house or siding. While they cut well, and stragglers would be missed until you blow the clippings away from the object to then vacuum them up by mowing (trim first here as well). Week after week and you are going to be building up clippings against the fence/house/siding.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's a really nice place and that sky sure has that PNW / AK look to it LOL I lived in AK for a little while and remember that look.
Thanks. I may have hijacked the thread, my apologies to the OP.

PNW was not our goto choice because of the weather, however my daughter lives across the border in Whistler BC Canada, and to be close to her, we moved coast to coast from NJ. I literally designed and architected that home from scratch, right down to each nut and bolt with very detailed drawings for builders, subs, permits etc. and commenced construction in Mar 2017, I played a very active role during its meticulous construction. We barely finished building to an acceptable/livable/permit level by Thanksgiving 2019, then the pandemic struck, borders closed and we could not see or have my kids, grandkids or anyone come over; the pandemic provided and opportunity for us to focus on the exterior including, landscaping etc. we finally had the driveway paved last year after irrigation was professionally installed while underground landscape wiring and lighting by me . Except pouring over 300 tons of river rock, I did all the 5+ acres of lawns, creating beds, then physically pouring several truckloads of topsoil over a few weeks, did all plantings (my wife helped with most of the shrubs), all from scratch, it really was quite a project and I'm still working on a few bare spots way behind the property. Interestingly I even created a 400' long grass runaway I use to fly my large RC/remote planes, came in handy during the pandemic when the model flying club was forced to closed down. Now its great, the borders are open and the kids been over a couple of times in the weeks since; just my wife and I live here.

81 - 100 of 137 Posts