Lawn Care Forum banner
101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I guess I should have been more clear - the clippings stay where they are - like up against the fence or house or siding. While they cut well, and stragglers would be missed until you blow the clippings away from the object to then vacuum them up by mowing (trim first here as well). Week after week and you are going to be building up clippings against the fence/house/siding.
You are absolutlely correct, I usually need to blow the stragglers back into the lawns every two to four weeks but that can be fun too with my recent blower upgrade to Stihl BR 800 CE which is a pleasure to use.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Thanks. I may have hijacked the thread, my apologies to the OP.

PNW was not our goto choice because of the weather, however my daughter lives across the border in Whistler BC Canada, and to be close to her, we moved coast to coast from NJ. I literally designed and architected that home from scratch, right down to each nut and bolt with very detailed drawings for builders, subs, permits etc. and commenced construction in Mar 2017, I played a very active role during its meticulous construction. We barely finished building to an acceptable/livable/permit level by Thanksgiving 2019, then the pandemic struck, borders closed and we could not see or have my kids, grandkids or anyone come over; the pandemic provided and opportunity for us to focus on the exterior including, landscaping etc. we finally had the driveway paved last year after irrigation was professionally installed while underground landscape wiring and lighting by me . Except pouring over 300 tons of river rock, I did all the 5+ acres of lawns, creating beds, then physically pouring several truckloads of topsoil over a few weeks, did all plantings (my wife helped with most of the shrubs), all from scratch, it really was quite a project and I'm still working on a few bare spots way behind the property. Interestingly I even created a 400' long grass runaway I use to fly my large RC/remote planes, came in handy during the pandemic when the model flying club was forced to closed down. Now its great, the borders are open and the kids been over a couple of times in the weeks since; just my wife and I live here.
Honestly don’t mind. Made the post as one of those “hey we can all have input on this” posts so happy for more input

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
You are absolutlely correct, I usually need to blow the stragglers back into the lawns every two to four weeks but that can be fun too with my recent blower upgrade to Stihl BR 800 CE which is a pleasure to use.
I like my 800ce as well. Enough so that it’s my daily lol. I had a lot of people initially warn against them for the side start but I’m still on my original equipment and the spare coil collects dustbin my trailer.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
I did try the black diamond string today and was pretty impressed. It doesn’t coil like the stihl line does which is a big plus for me as I like to have the low RPM cut capability when edging. It also doesn’t have the “whirring/whizzing” buzz up the shaft like I expected from such a defined line. I can see why a lot of people like it.

Think I may return the big spool and go between the same Oregon and black diamond this season.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I like my 800ce as well. Enough so that it’s my daily lol. I had a lot of people initially warn against them for the side start but I’m still on my original equipment and the spare coil collects dustbin my trailer.
Oh I found it so easy to restart when its on my back; two gentle pulls, I think it primes it, followed by a straight left arm pull and it starts, a very useful feature indeed.

·
Registered
24,783 Posts
Oh I found it so easy to restart when its on my back; two gentle pulls, I think it primes it, followed by a straight left arm pull and it starts, a very useful feature indeed.
You have to prime the CE before you put it on. The two or three pulls simply lines the piston up on the compression stroke so that the next tug starts it. (y)

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
i load my trimmers with different line according to their duty. light marurama gets echo black diamond-medium duty gets star shaped line . heavy duty gets square oregon or rotary /arnold extreme

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
I did try the black diamond string today and was pretty impressed. It doesn’t coil like the stihl line does which is a big plus for me as I like to have the low RPM cut capability when edging. It also doesn’t have the “whirring/whizzing” buzz up the shaft like I expected from such a defined line. I can see why a lot of people like it.

Think I may return the big spool and go between the same Oregon and black diamond this season.
Does that BD line 'grab' and walk or is it smooth cutting. My Echo 2620 with the lower CC's will sometimes 'walk' trimmer line instead of cut.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Does that BD line 'grab' and walk or is it smooth cutting. My Echo 2620 with the lower CC's will sometimes 'walk' trimmer line instead of cut.
It really doesn’t grab like the stihl square line does. I’m pretty impressed overall. I like that it doesn’t coil at the head. Ran thru almost a full length (maybe 8’) over the last 2 days (first job was a gravel drive/wooded lot with lots of ground cover I knock back every few weeks). I have not edged chain link yet (where I usually prefer the rounded line) but did do some walks and it doesn’t burn up on concrete.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
If you mean like regular side-to-side trimmer walk- no, for the “aggressive” design it really behaves like a rounded line. It has a tight twist which I think it’s the trick.

·
Registered
24,783 Posts
My favorite trick for chain link fence, is to flip the trimmer up and "edge" against chain link. I have chain link at my house too. That stuff stinks, but this is the best way that I've found to deal with it.
I do it both ways at time to get all the grass, both on my side and that growing through from the other side. It does save line. (y)

·
Registered
305 Posts
I noticed when I switched from my Stihl trimmer with the larger diameter head to my Maruyama that has a smaller feed speed style head that its alot more grabby. The BD line did help with that but what I figured out is that the longer the line is the more it will want to walk.

·
Registered
24,783 Posts
I noticed when I switched from my Stihl trimmer with the larger diameter head to my Maruyama that has a smaller feed speed style head that its alot more grabby. The BD line did help with that but what I figured out is that the longer the line is the more it will want to walk.
Definitely my experience as well. I keep the line fairly short along chain link.

RM Cable Twist seems to be pretty good along chain link as it both lasts fairly well and is quite stiff.

·
Registered
163 Posts
So….i sold my 1.5yr old KM-56 power head yesterday to a buddy of mine as i grabbed the Km-111 to replace it. Gave him the line trimmer attachment with it as well. Went out yesterday and bought the brush cutter attachment i stead of the line trimmer. Gonna put an easy load head on it and have decided i wanna try BD.

what is the consensus on line size for homeowner use? Have some flower beds with pavers for a border…but i do have 3/4 of my back yard fenced in with chain link. .095 or .105? Does it matter?

101 - 120 of 131 Posts