Lawn Care Forum banner
121 - 140 of 172 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
While wider line might last longer, thinner line cuts through grass & less-fibrous weeks more easily.

·
Registered
24,992 Posts
While wider line might last longer, thinner line cuts through grass & less-fibrous weeks more easily.
That's true with low to medium powered trimmers, but with BD, that doesn't seem to matter/be the case. All the cutting edges on it seem to make the difference between lines diameters disappear.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
That's true with low to medium powered trimmers, but with BD, that doesn't seem to matter/be the case. All the cutting edges on it seem to make the difference between lines diameters disappear.
I’ve been really impressed and overall happy with the BD. I went after a bunch of blackberry shoots, vines and those tall red stemmed plant/weed things that shoot up overnight and it really cuts where the Oregon line that I use slaps. Still no match for those hitchhiking weeds that mat up tho

·
Registered
435 Posts
I grabbed some BD today in .095. Did a small area and it cuts really nice and easy while being pretty quiet. Tried it around the fence and paver blocks….started to eat line pretty fast. In it’s defense though, it is black. My eyesight isnt too good and it’s A lot tougher to see than my yellow rhino.

it’s probably my familiarity with this new trimmer setup as well…not really used to it yet.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
My favorite trick for chain link fence, is to flip the trimmer up and "edge" against chain link. I have chain link at my house too. That stuff stinks, but this is the best way that I've found to deal with it.
Raising the chain link up just enough allows you to get under it as well.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I’ve noticed that BD tends to make a trimmer feel way stronger than it is with regular line. To the point where my 260TS with BD isn’t that far off from my 131 with Magnum Gatorline ST in all but the worst conditions.

I tried the 131 with BD and the cutting performance increased quite a bit. The only downside is that it snaps off and wears easier due to the raw power of the 131 and it being .105 vs .130.

·
Super Moderator
45,047 Posts
I’ve noticed that BD tends to make a trimmer feel way stronger than it is with regular line. To the point where my 260TS with BD isn’t that far off from my 131 with Magnum Gatorline ST in all but the worst conditions.

I tried the 131 with BD and the cutting performance increased quite a bit. The only downside is that it snaps off and wears easier due to the raw power of the 131 and it being .105 vs .130.
One youtuber reviewed the BS line. HIs conclusion was that it is a bit thinner than other line of the same diameter. He uses .105 in stead of .095. Kind of validates your experience.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
One youtuber reviewed the BS line. HIs conclusion was that it is a bit thinner than other line of the same diameter. He uses .105 in stead of .095. Kind of validates your experience.
I haven’t really noticed too big a difference in thickness between .105 BD and other .105 lines. I think it mostly due to all the sharp edges on BD that makes it cut so good

·
Registered
24,992 Posts
The core of the line is probably a bit thinner, but BD seems to be the same diameter overall (or even slightly thicker than) as some of my other .095" lines.

As an aside- my Oregon Platinum Gator ST .105 measures out very close to the same as my other .'095 lines and I have checked it with some accurate calipers because it just didn't seem like .105" I even compared the same spool like mine to the .095 version at the dealer I always buy stuff from and for sure I have the .105". The .095" OPGST is more like .080" in other brands.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
The core of the line is probably a bit thinner, but BD seems to be the same diameter overall (or even slightly thicker than) as some of my other .095" lines.

As an aside- my Oregon Platinum Gator ST .105 measures out very close to the same as my other .'095 lines and I have checked it with some accurate calipers because it just didn't seem like .105" I even compared the same spool like mine to the .095 version at the dealer I always buy stuff from and for sure I have the .105". The .095" OPGST is more like .080" in other brands.
I think you are right on the money with the core differences. Can feel it when you cut it

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Gator Platinum more durable than BD when it comes to edging.

·
Registered
435 Posts
i bought a big spool of .95 stihl cf3 pro this spring - it's ok although i'll try something different next.
Then why did you buy a big spool? Why not buy little ones to try then get the big spool you like?

do you go through that much trimmer line? If so…then damn…..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes please. Let us know how well they work.
I probably wont pick one up for my KM111, but i am curious how they are.
I picked up the Hasquvarna RA850 Weed Scissor Attachment last Friday. Using it for the first time yesterday, was a new experience and it clearly did the job I purchased it for i.e. very clean grass edges, typical shears type cut and other edges on our vast lawns where a string trimmer was comparitively not the best choice due to flying debris. I also used or misused it to cut off blackberry and other vines, just to try it out its strength and rigidity, where I would normally use my long hedge trimmer HA860 attachment which is a beast. Similar to a very sharp hedge trimmer, extreme caution should be exercised while using it, it will slice almost anything in its path except nails or stones.

Does it mean I'll give up my string trimmer? No Way! A string trimmer, and I use mine inverted for lawn edging (my 4stroke engine works in any attitude) provides a cleaner deep edge with obvious string trimmer drawbacks of flying mud, stones etc. at times; I did not dig in the scissor tool in the mud. Like other Hasquvarna products, the Hasquvarna RA850 is built like a tank, is definitely heavier and takes getting used to carrying/using the heavier attachment when compared to the string attachment, however is a much quieter tool to use. Next time I'll use the lanyard and it may help with weight distribution. Following several hundred yards of edge trimming and misuse, the tool looked just as clean, nothing sticks to the blades, no bumping heads and no strings to replace, it was great.

In conclusion, its a nice tool to own in addition to a good line trimmer. Don't rush out to purchase this or the other brand unless you have specific use/need for it in your landscaping work; it is an expensive attachment and although cutting blades can be sharpened, replacement blades when/if permanently damaged are not cheap, $100 and some change.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have been using stihl .95 mainly more because there is a dealer less than a mile from my house. Been using it for about 2 years. I just changed out a worn out bump head on my fs94 with an old 1 that had home depot line on it and I'm more impressed with it than with the stihl. When my trimmer line starts getting low think I will try the black diamond

121 - 140 of 172 Posts