Lawn Care Forum banner
141 - 160 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
i have 2 under 23 cc trimmers that are very light i use on certain days . they struggle with most .95 lines. i am using speed pro .80 line from home depot and getting good results. cuts super quick and is as durable as most .95 line are.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
I did and I get a better cut with the orange stuff. my second choice is black diamond. Go back and try the orange stuff again and I bet you will stay with the orange stuff
I won't.
Black Diamond should cost more than it does as far as I'm concerned.
It's only slightly more money than Crossfire, but far better line.

For years, I used Crossfire because it was "good enough". Far better than that garbage round stuff that Stihl includes on their trimmers.
Then I bought a small spool of Black Diamond. No reason to by the Crossfire again.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Granted it was LOOOOONG and I was cutting things I should have pulled the km out for. I thought I’d be able to untie it but it was tight enough I had to clip it.

and then this happened today.
Plant Motor vehicle Road surface Sculpture Asphalt

I broke my a strap on my overalls this spring so I’ve been beating my shins all summer in shorts- tomorrow I’ll wear pants. Not that I think it would help in this case but absolutely another first for me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Anyone notice the more cutting edges a line has, the more 'grabby' it is when walking along. My lower cc Echo trimmer cannot handle edgy line well, the line tends to grab and walk along instead of trim, if you know what I mean.
That happens to me when there's too much line out. Don't know this is what's happening but feels like the long line isn't taught enough on the end and tends to grab and briefly wrap around clumps of grass instead of cutting through them causing the head to get pulled around. I cut almost 100% SA for reference.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
My personal experience with BD echos what Ridin Green and others have said. Had a spool sit in my shop for a few months, it was noticeably tougher than it was brand new. Something I have noticed is that the newer spools of BD seem a bit tougher brand new vs the older spools

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
was funny going from gator square to b diamond years ago , on ridins advice , when i noticed how much quieter the diamond cut through the air than the square gator . diamond cuts thru air cleaner than square and thusly imo accelerates head speed quicker and eventually allows head to spin faster then if had square on . ide say this better aero dynamic shape also adds up to engine lasting longer . my guess anyway .

·
Registered
75 Posts
At the moment, Stihl CF3 Pro .105.

I've used .095" Stihl X-line for years. Tried Black Diamond .095" and was not impressed.

I've been buying short rolls recently to try various string out.

One day I went from .105 CF3 Pro to a coil of X-line, and immediately noticed more noise from the X-line. IE - less aerodynamic = more load on the engine.

The CF3 Pro also doesn't seem to weld in the spool. X-line and even Black Diamond seemed pretty bad about this. I haven't had a single weld with the CF3 Pro.

I think I'm going to stick with it for a while. So far, I really like it.

i don't mind the cf3 pro but the problem i have with it is tracking - doesn't seem to hit in the same place like round line. for overgrown yards that's what i'll use but i like the husqvarna titanium force in .80 for detail work

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't know about any way to check trimmer line (I assume you are joking there anyway). I just know that at first BD was a lot less durable than most lines.

I have told people on here ever since BD came out that letting it dry out made it last longer after they had complained it was too soft. I thought so too and threw mine into a bucket in the corner of the garage and let is set for a summer. I saw it one day and decided to try it one more time before tossing it, and it held up and lasted way longer like Magnum ST etc yet still cut like a razor. Every other line I have let sit for any length of time has become brittle and snaps off easily against any hard surface or chainlink. BD was just the opposite until I let it dry.

I believe Echo must read a lot on here regarding their products, because the last large spool of BD I bought was much tougher right from the jump which makes me think that after seeing a lot of guys complaining about the same issue, they changed production of it in some way. My first few spools even felt different to the touch than the large one I have now.
I don't have time and money to let something I bought just set out unused. I nought it now, I need it to work now. Been using stihl orange .95 most time because dealer really close. My spool is about done think I will try black diamond now

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Echo gets its feedback from the field not this forum.

I want to make sure i understand this thread. If you let the bd sit for a year it becomes a better line right? Like a fine wine?

·
Registered
295 Posts
My personal experience with BD echos what Ridin Green and others have said. Had a spool sit in my shop for a few months, it was noticeably tougher than it was brand new. Something I have noticed is that the newer spools of BD seem a bit tougher brand new vs the older spools
I just started using a new spool of 105 BD and it seems much tougher than before. I let it sit outside for 2 weeks, but it wasnt on purpose more so cuz we are in a drought and I have gone mowing for 2 weeks. The new spool cut very good and seemed to last a little longer than the last spool I had. As far as not using it for a few months like everyone always recommends, does it count if the spool sat in a warehouse for 6 months or so? At that point it should be good when you buy it, but theres no way to tell how long it sat before you buy it.

I was running Oregon Gator platinum twist for a little while before I started the new spool of BD. I used it for everything, but wanted to mainly see how it lasted on curb lines, walkways and chain link fense. It seem to do very good and lasts good. I will say that the new BD spool I got, cut much better and quicker than the oregon stuff. Next time I mow the account with all the curb lines, I will have to weed all the edges and then we will see how this new BD holds up.

I ran 2 different spools of the rotary vortex, .095 and .105. It cut good, but I like the way BD cuts. Back to using BD for me, for a little while.

·
Super Moderator
45,047 Posts
I just started using a new spool of 105 BD and it seems much tougher than before. I let it sit outside for 2 weeks, but it wasnt on purpose more so cuz we are in a drought and I have gone mowing for 2 weeks. The new spool cut very good and seemed to last a little longer than the last spool I had. As far as not using it for a few months like everyone always recommends, does it count if the spool sat in a warehouse for 6 months or so? At that point it should be good when you buy it, but theres no way to tell how long it sat before you buy it.

I was running Oregon Gator platinum twist for a little while before I started the new spool of BD. I used it for everything, but wanted to mainly see how it lasted on curb lines, walkways and chain link fense. It seem to do very good and lasts good. I will say that the new BD spool I got, cut much better and quicker than the oregon stuff. Next time I mow the account with all the curb lines, I will have to weed all the edges and then we will see how this new BD holds up.

I ran 2 different spools of the rotary vortex, .095 and .105. It cut good, but I like the way BD cuts. Back to using BD for me, for a little while.
You guys are so much more in tune with the nuances of trimmer line. Appreciate everyone's input.

·
Registered
24,992 Posts
I have wondered about how long a spool I bought may have sat somewhere before I bought it, but I still let it set for a while. I buy enough at a time that I can do that. I believe Echo ( I know they do) reads the stuff on here about their products, and they are trying ti improve them where they can.

This is one of the best sources of a wide cross section of the country to gain info from in field users of their products. They don't make changes based solely on the rather small amount of field testers that they (and all companies) use for product testing. I spoke at great length with the regional rep this spring about all this, as well as the issues with the 8010/9010 and showed him exactly what they are right there in the store). He told us several times that he was taking this all back to Echo. He made quite a few notes on all this and gave me his card and said to call him direct if I had other thoughts, concerns, or needed anything to try out myself.

·
Super Moderator
45,047 Posts
I have wondered about how long a spool I bought may have sat somewhere before I bought it, but I still let it set for a while. I buy enough at a time that I can do that. I believe Echo ( I know they do) reads the stuff on here about their products, and they are trying ti improve them where they can.

This is one of the best sources of a wide cross section of the country to gain info from in field users of their products. They don't make changes based solely on the rather small amount of field testers that they (and all companies) use for product testing. I spoke at great length with the regional rep this spring about all this, as well as the issues with the 8010/9010 and showed him exactly what they are right there in the store). He told us several times that he was taking this all back to Echo. He made quite a few notes on all this and gave me his card and said to call him direct if I had other thoughts, concerns, or needed anything to try out myself.
Cool!!!

141 - 160 of 172 Posts