1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Trimmer line

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by birdcarpet, Jul 3, 2017.

1. birdcarpet

birdcarpet LawnSite Member
    Male, from Colorado

Does anyone know how to make trimmer line last longer and not become brittle as it sits in the shop. Talking about the spools of line and over time hey seem to break easier. I've heard by putting the spool in water helps. Anyone know any tips ?

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I've never had that problem. Mine sits in the 100 shop most of time or in the box on the trailers. I've heard the water trick but I just don't see how plastic is affected in any way .

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  3. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

I'm with the Patriot, my vortex line is mounted to a spool on the trailer in the bright sun & iv noticed no problems.

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Well, Oregon makes a crap ton of it, and they say to soak it. It is hygroscopic like fishing line, and is made partially of water or at least water based materials, so it dries out and needs re-hydrating every now and then.

Straight from their site, and under the dept for Gator Magnum, sub section warning:

Important TrImmer Line InformatIon:
    Any monofilament trimmer line can lose moisture over time or become brittle, especially if subjected to heat and sunlight. To reduce brittleness, OregonĀ® strongly recommends that line be submerged in water for 24 hours.

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

You guys and your boutique trimmer line. I've ran Echo for years. 100% nylon (non hygroscopic). I 've tried every new gimmick that came down the road and haven't found enough benefit to offset the usual higher cost.

6. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

Oh I believe ya! HaHa, I just don't have time to worry about it. I haven't done any water maintenance on mine and it's doing a good job for me :)

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

If they are nylon, they are hygroscopic. No and's, if's, or but's about that.

8. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Florida

I'm soaking mine right now since I'm not working today. If it helps, great. If not, I'm out 2 minutes of my time and some water.

Corey B, Ridin' Green and RussellB like this.
  9. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

IMG_0879.JPG This is what I use. No soaking, no issues. Maybe it is the quality of the line that causes issues. That said, I have read enough times to soak the line so if I ever do have a problem I will try it.

10. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine is soaking right now due to rain. I use Oregon magnum square .095 it will cut down 1" saplings without breaking.