Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

Alright my question is on trimmer line configuration. Dual or Single?

I've been trying both out lately. It seems like the dual does a better job at edging but it seems like I have to reload more often then running a single line.

Thanks

·
Banned
21,630 Posts
Are you kidding, what kind of a POS are you using that runs a single?
LOL!

Seriously, only things I've ever seen running single are weak electric deals, maybe some gas-powered Homelite.
Then again maybe you're not really trimming any serious weeds lol

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Wasnt there a head not too long ago that had 3 lines? I hate the single line trimmers, the 2 line models do pretty good and I would love to try the 3 line model, if anyone knows where you can pick one up, please let me know.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Are you kidding, what kind of a POS are you using that runs a single?
LOL!

Seriously, only things I've ever seen running single are weak electric deals, maybe some gas-powered Homelite.
Then again maybe you're not really trimming any serious weeds lol
Top,
I refrained from responding because my answer was similar to yours. LOL!!
You are killing me!!:laughing:
The last time I used a single line trimmer was an electric unit.......back in the early 80's. Hated the thing, but that was all there was available. It sure beat the hay out of those scissor like apparatuses by hand or just leaving the grass tall around fences and trees.............just like the darn neighbors do in my county neighborhood. I swear, lazyness must be an inbreed thing.
There isn't anything more tacky than a nicely clean cut lawn........and then you see 12 inch grass growing around the fences and trees...!!!!:nono:

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
I disagree with the naive here. A single line will cut better because all the power goes to one line, more power at point of impact, more RPM which for anybody who knows two cycles knows this means more horsepower. More Tip speed velocity because you can run the line longer. Added benefit is less chance to bite into the turf because the longer line is more flexible and the air resistance at greater tip speeds holds the line off the ground. Vibration is easily remedied with by balancing the head by removing material near the line eyelet. Another benefit is the ability to finesse a long line into a corner at fence post.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Um, are you talking about trimmer line. I have shindaiwas line and it two strings braided together and it works great.

If you are talking the number of lines coming out of the head, you have posted in the wron area. The homeowner help is at the bottom of the main page.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
If you are mainly doing trimming on yards that get regular trimming and not huge overgrowth, you dont need tons of power like suggested above with all the power going to one line. quickness of cleaning it up matters to me more and two lines will do it much quicker. But when I service a property for the first time and it hasnt had trimming on a regular basis, it does take a little longer but that is to be expected.

·
Banned
21,630 Posts
Top,
I refrained from responding because my answer was similar to yours. LOL!!
You are killing me!!:laughing:
Oh believe me, I have to hold myself back a ways around here some days because I'm never too sure if they're serious or just poking fun,
one hates to make someone else feel awful not knowing all the details, then not wanting to make a total jack of myself,
that and the stuff gets so outrageous sometimes I can't hardly figure out where to start...
So for not wanting to post a page long rant...

But this one I just couldn't help myself.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I disagree with the naive here. A single line will cut better because all the power goes to one line, more power at point of impact, more RPM which for anybody who knows two cycles knows this means more horsepower. More Tip speed velocity because you can run the line longer. Added benefit is less chance to bite into the turf because the longer line is more flexible and the air resistance at greater tip speeds holds the line off the ground. Vibration is easily remedied with by balancing the head by removing material near the line eyelet. Another benefit is the ability to finesse a long line into a corner at fence post.
This is the best answer. Why do you think, after years of time and money spent on research every single commercial trimmer manufacturer in existance uses a single line head.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
50,354 Posts
This is the best answer. Why do you think, after years of time and money spent on research every single commercial trimmer manufacturer in existance uses a single line head.
Oh I know this one!!!

Because research shows that two lines are better!

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
Posted via Mobile Device
That proves nothing. Every manufacturer also supplies a deflector/ shield and yet when you see example of EXCELLENT trimming which about 10% of LCO's might exhibit, 98% of them have removed the shield. Post your work and I will post mine and I can prove my point.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
That proves nothing. Every manufacturer also supplies a deflector/ shield and yet when you see example of EXCELLENT trimming which about 10% of LCO's might exhibit, 98% of them have removed the shield. Post your work and I will post mine and I can prove my point.
A. Taking the guard off does not improve the way a property looks after it has been trimmed, it allows you to use a longer line, which in theory can make things go faster. Really all it does is make you uncomplient with faderal labor laws, and opens you up to a variety of fines and lawsuits. That is a different thread though.

The guards are on because by law they have to be for safety. Why would they make trimmers with dual heads when one works better? Some conspiracy to use more string?

In reality its because ite been proven over and over again that its faster. Bothing more. I won't even say it trims better, I've used my sister in laws happy homeowner battery single line trimmer for a laugh, and it did just as good a job as my echo or tanaka would have, but it took forever. I gave up after about 50ft of trimming.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
When string trimming, I don't want to spend alot of time trimming 500 linear feet of driveway edging. Our accounts have sprinkler heads along the driveways, low voltage lighting, pet containment systems or outright small fences. Edgers are not an option to the maintenance.
I agree that less damage is sustained with a single line on fenceposts, fences,etc.
If flossing around poles and retainer walls is an issue, then slow down on the throttle with the commercial trimmers........it will trim the same way as a single line...!!!!
Some bermuda grass lawns will grow like a hellian, and a single line trimmer takes for heaven sakes--ever!! No offense here..........we bid lawns by the time it takes and the quality of the work done.
I am sure that you can perform just as a quality cut as someone with dual string heads......hell I can do it too!! I have been running a weed-eater for 19 years. Single and dual.......3-tier......bladed........and back in the early 80's I designed a spinning flat disc with piano wire leads.....similar to the design of the meg-mo's for ZTR's. My invention was way too dangerous to hit the mainstream market. It was good for grasses only and not saplings or woody stemmed weeds. The noise was weird and the balance was unpredictable.
If the velocity isn't what it should be, then shorten the line, or fill the head with .80 string. The book will recommend the appropriate line to use for the unit, but you can go smaller if needed to increase speed and production. You will probably have to replace more line and bump more. The biggest majority of spent line is trimming too close to the concrete or pavement. The line will spend on its own, and we often soak the line in water to keep it from drying out and breaking down from UV light. Oxydation will destroy the polymer and make it weaker .........!
The reason we take off the guards, is so we can see under trees better and it allows me to run like the wind while trimming. I have eyes for trimming and know how long the string is at all times by the way it cuts. It took some time to get used to the missing part but it is an integral part of our speed.
If all of this is garble to you, then using a single line trimmer is your choice and that is human nature. But for us that do this line of work 6 days a week and 10-12 hours a day; there isn't anyone going to tell me different on my line trimmer and its production. I have used everything the market has out there. It all has its place......!!! It is my opinion of each product and it only matters to the user.!!!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
You guys are underestimating single line heads. They need less power. A shame most mfgs ditched these, I remember stih had them.

With a single line there was only 1/2 of the air resistance slowing the engine down and less "blow down" effect. Put it short: a 25cc trimmer could run .105 or even .130" single line without bogging. WAY BETTER for overgrown lots.

If these were balanced right, you could have a longer line sticking out without fear of clutch or engine damage. Why did they stop making these is a mystery to me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.