1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

trimmer mower?????

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by yeller_demon, Jun 16, 2006.

1. yeller_demon

yeller_demon LawnSite Member

Hi, and thanks up front to anyone with input to my question.

Homeowner here, mow 5 acres weekly, mowing isn`t my issue.

Being in the country though we have a lot of volunteer grass/weeds, that tend to creep up around the periphery, and around the 150+or- trees I have in the "mowable" tract. My Hustler can`t help in getting real close, and after hanging onto my string trimmer for about a third of the trimming, I feel like a tuning fork.

Couple of years ago I bought a Troy Built trimmer mower, and I don`t see any pros using these, but for my money it saves my back, and I don`t get the tuning fork thing going on. Plus it just plain kicks butt on heavier weeds.

OK, heres the dissatisfied part. The Troy Built is a rather cheaply built tool, and the depth setting is a JOKE. It relies on a thumb screw to keep the line adjusted for proper cut height. The screw stays set about 3 feet, and the vibration of the motor? or something causes it to jiggle loose, and you are back to scalp mode in a flash. I`m real strong, so I don`t think it`s a question it isn`t tight enough, I think it`s just crappy engineering.

I realize I could re-engineer the thing, but thats not my point. I`m looking for a unit that is made right from the start.

As luck would have it a neighbor, who has borrowed it a time or 9, wanted to buy one, so I sold him mine. Now I`m back in the market for a new, but better engineered tool.

I`m trying to stay below $500.00 on the purchase. So far I`ve seen locally, Dayton Ohio area, just variants of the same theme, all MTD built junk, with the same simple thumb screw to keep the cutter set, and I know this does not work.

On the net I`ve seen 2 that I`m interested in, but buying net, might also lead to problems, mostly you do see what you`re getting till you have already gotten it.

Ariens ST 622 6HP Tecumseh, "Four-Position Pivoting Head lets you adjust cutting height for a custom look". None of the local dealers stocks it, this worries me a bit, as if it was a killer I`d think they`d have 1 around. Price is $349.00 right now. 1 dealer wants my business, and has his rep dragging one up from Ky, so I can look at it. If the head is truly 4 position, with some sort of position set that is stable this would be the price winner. I know Tecumseh doesn`t get a lot of raves from pro`s, but I`ve had good luck with them in the past.

DRĀ® Trimmer/Mower Sprint - 5.5 HP 5.5 HP BRIGGS & STRATTON QUANTUM, 4-cycle, $449.10. No local dealers, but DR has a 6 month return if not delighted thing, so you get a good look, but still would rather not have to use this option. (Did this with a Mantis severl years ago, and finally got refund, but was a hassle. Mantis wouldn`t start, nada, DOA, wasn`t impressed by that at all.) Afriend has a DR field mower, and loves it, but nobody I know has experience with the trimmer mowers.

The DR has a positive 4 step trimmer head, where it is grooved for 4 heights, and you select the groove to attach to, this would be a big advantage over the MTD junk. Only problem I can forsee is the head appears to be plastic, and not sure if regular use woulod tear up the preset grooves? See pic>>

Also have seen a lot about Swisher trimmer mowers, but the only place where I saw any feedback was on Amazon, and it got terrible reviews/ratings, so think I`ll steer clear of Swisher.

OK sorry for being so wordy, but wanted to let anyone know what I`d seen so far.

Now the question?????? Anyone have experience with these 2 models? Anyone have other input about brands I haven`t seen? Any thoughts, comments, concerns, are welcomed.

Thanks again.

Yeller_Demon

T0840-250.jpg