Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a trimmer rack and all the threads I find here are from around 2008-2016.

Is it settled science that if you want a good trimmer rack, you can buy a Green Touch rack OR an Equipment Defender rack?
That's it? No other options on the market???

I'm honestly not interested in a "budget" rack that does nothing more than hold a trimmer and can be locked with a bunch of padlocks.
I'm willing to pay the price for one of the two I've mentioned because I want what they offer - SECURE equipment mounting for transport (our roads are horrific), and super-easy to remove trimmers and replace them, with fast, simple locking systems.

I will likely get a two trimmer rack.
Three would be nice, but I think it would be too high for me to comfortably reach the top "knob" to operate. (I'm short)

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought you like bungee straps?
I doan need no steenking bungee straps!

Laugh all you want. The ol' Stihl in a cat litter bucket method has worked surprisingly well!
The trimmer does not move - the bucket keeps it from rolling.
That said, I want to carry my other trimmer and/or hedge trimmer with me all the time, and THAT is the problem.
Plus, once I get my 36" Ferris back up and running, I lose all that space on the floor.
I needs me a trimmer rack.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I compare the Equipment Defender and the Green Touch racks, the only real difference I can see is the way the front pins hook onto the rack - the ED has a "funnel" to guide the pin on the trimmer shaft right into the hole, but the GT requires you to "line up" the hole to get the pin into that "tube".
Not the end of the world, but anything that makes your life easier is a plus, so the ED rack gets a point for that.

I was ready to order the ED rack, but the more I look, the less I'm sure I'll be able to mount it to MY trailer without custom fabricating some sort of brackets.
The ED racks were designed to mount on the INSIDE and the bottom mounts to the WOOD PLANK floor - I have wire mesh floor - and I don't really want tubes mounted on the inside because there's hardly any room in there to begin with.
Plus, I have wood sides, so I'm not sure mounting inside would even work unless the lowest trimmer was above the wood sides.

Looking at the GT racks, it seems lots of people use the mounts meant to mount them to enclosed trailer walls to mount the rack to the OUTSIDE of the trailer. I can see TONS of YouTube vids with them mounted on the outside and I see very few ED racks mounted that way - at least not on a trailer frame similar to mine.

Mounting on the outside, I MAY be able to get a 3 trimmer rack, if I can start the entire rack lower than the standard method of bolting it to the floor.
I dunno... it's why I still don't have trimmer racks - I don't want to spend $250 on something that may not even work for me.

Right now, because ED has NO info on their website regarding mounting the way I want to do it, I'm leaning in the direction of GT racks.

This is what I'm mounting it to. I'll need to put it on the passenger side because my gas cans are on the driver's side and I need to be able to reach in to get them.

·
Premium Member
53,871 Posts
When I compare the Equipment Defender and the Green Touch racks, the only real difference I can see is the way the front pins hook onto the rack - the ED has a "funnel" to guide the pin on the trimmer shaft right into the hole, but the GT requires you to "line up" the hole to get the pin into that "tube".
Not the end of the world, but anything that makes your life easier is a plus, so the ED rack gets a point for that.

I was ready to order the ED rack, but the more I look, the less I'm sure I'll be able to mount it to MY trailer without custom fabricating some sort of brackets.
The ED racks were designed to mount on the INSIDE and the bottom mounts to the WOOD PLANK floor - I have wire mesh floor - and I don't really want tubes mounted on the inside because there's hardly any room in there to begin with.
Plus, I have wood sides, so I'm not sure mounting inside would even work unless the lowest trimmer was above the wood sides.

Looking at the GT racks, it seems lots of people use the mounts meant to mount them to enclosed trailer walls to mount the rack to the OUTSIDE of the trailer. I can see TONS of YouTube vids with them mounted on the outside and I see very few ED racks mounted that way - at least not on a trailer frame similar to mine.

Mounting on the outside, I MAY be able to get a 3 trimmer rack, if I can start the entire rack lower than the standard method of bolting it to the floor.
I dunno... it's why I still don't have trimmer racks - I don't want to spend $250 on something that may not even work for me.

Right now, because ED has NO info on their website regarding mounting the way I want to do it, I'm leaning in the direction of GT racks.

This is what I'm mounting it to. I'll need to put it on the passenger side because my gas cans are on the driver's side and I need to be able to reach in to get them.

Get the green touch rack son
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I found this photo online. Trailer is larger, but of same frame construction as mine.
I wouldn't be using a 4 trimmer rack, but I think mounting it like this will work. Sort of.

My trailer is only 8 ft, so there's not much room down low without hitting a fender.
May need to buy a 3 trimmer rack, but only be able to USE the top 2 spots.

Mounting outside also poses a risk of getting clipped by a passing vehicle while parked on narrow city streets. I fold my mirrors in for good reason... can't fold the trimmers out of the danger zone.
I may HAVE to mount on the driver's side so they would at least be curb side while parked.
EDIT: I'm an idiot. Mounting on the passenger side puts them curbside when parked facing the proper direction. Duh.
(I was parked the wrong way when I was thinking this over and posting before)

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Bumpmaster, you got the OLD Green Touch racks. (Yellow Touch? Ha)
Those have a nicer "funnel" mount for the front trimmer post to go into. Nice.
Wish the current ones did.

The current GT racks also did away with those finger latch push thingies.
Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

·
Premium Member
53,871 Posts
Hey Bumpmaster, you got the OLD Green Touch racks. (Yellow Touch? Ha)
Those have a nicer "funnel" mount for the front trimmer post to go into. Nice.
Wish the current ones did.

The current GT racks also did away with those finger latch push thingies.
Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Finger things no big deal but no funnel not as nice,. Could be a pain, maybe some who will chime in on that

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I found this photo online. Trailer is larger, but of same frame construction as mine.
I wouldn't be using a 4 trimmer rack, but I think mounting it like this will work. Sort of.

My trailer is only 8 ft, so there's not much room down low without hitting a fender.
May need to buy a 3 trimmer rack, but only be able to USE the top 2 spots.

Mounting outside also poses a risk of getting clipped by a passing vehicle while parked on narrow city streets. I fold my mirrors in for good reason... can't fold the trimmers out of the danger zone.
I may HAVE to mount on the driver's side so they would at least be curb side while parked.
EDIT: I'm an idiot. Mounting on the passenger side puts them curbside when parked facing the proper direction. Duh.
(I was parked the wrong way when I was thinking this over and posting before)

Trimmer head beats car mirror every time.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
LOL! Yeah, I guess so!
I used to mow in the “inner city” areas of a nearby town and in 2 years I had to come out to glass next to my truck mirror or trailer maybe 6 times. Stopped replacing the driver side on my old 250 lol. I think I’ve only actually clipped someone while I was moving once- heard the pop, saw the brake lights but they never turned to turn around. I think it’s usually just someone not paying attention fully.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh no. Green Touch had my money up until I realized I would need to buy a 3 trimmer rack in order to mount it the way it is in that photo I posted.
I was sort of OK with the $222 price of the 2 trimmer rack (especially when I assumed I would be able to use a coupon code), but the 2 trimmer rack is not going to mount up properly on my trailer.
I just threw a 3 trimmer rack in the shopping cart. ACK!!!

Green Touch 3 Trimmer Rack $259
$28 shipping
$20 tax
$307.25 total

That's a hard pass. Cat litter bucket works just fine. I'll just deal with it.
No coupon codes??? I can find coupon codes for Equipment Defender racks everywhere!

Not sure what I'm going to do now. I'll get some measurements. If I can figure out if I CAN get the 2 trimmer rack on it, I'll reconsider, but dang... I still may go back to considering Equipment Defender. Going to email them to ask about brackets for my specific application. If they have something that will work, they may get the sale.

Edit: Sheesh. ED has better prices, but they screw you on shipping, giving only ONE option - 2-day UPS for $52 - BUT they aren't charging tax, so it's a wash I guess.

Equipment Defender 3 Trimmer Rack $245
Shipping $52
- 10% discount code
$272.52 total
($34.73 less than GT)

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh boy.

I got the old "Hey, you left something in your cart" email from Green Touch yesterday.

Today, I got another one. THIS time they tried to entice me to complete the order by dangling a whopping THREE percent off discount code. THREE PERCENT??? Is that some sort of joke?
Seriously - if you folks at GT happen to see this - that's almost offensive.
$7.77 discount. Sheesh.

Now I'm definitely contacting Equipment Defender to ask about mounting options for my trailer.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts