Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am left-handed but i have my brother-in-law working with me and we see how we could mak a trimmer turn the RIGHT way for right handed people. We (like many have said or thought) have come to the conclusion that we should have the choice of which way the head will turn and i am thinking of patenting a head that is compatible with both stihl and husqvarna trimmers.
I think that we can produce these heads can be produced for less than 50 bucks so that right handed peeps can enjoy the ease that left handed peeps do.

·
Registered
859 Posts
crosson lawn said:
I am left-handed but i have my brother-in-law working with me and we see how we could mak a trimmer turn the RIGHT way for right handed people. We (like many have said or thought) have come to the conclusion that we should have the choice of which way the head will turn and i am thinking of patenting a head that is compatible with both stihl and husqvarna trimmers.
I think that we can produce these heads can be produced for less than 50 bucks so that right handed peeps can enjoy the ease that left handed peeps do.
You just trim in the other direction instead. Its that simple. As far as getting the head to change directions, its not just the head you'll need to change, the engine will have to rotate in the other direction, or you'll have to come up with a reversible clutch/tranny or something.

·
Registered
859 Posts
John Gamba said:
No its not.

John
I've operated trimmers that rotate clockwise and counter-clockwise. Its not that hard to use either one. Just start on the opposite side of the yard and trim in the opposite direction. I'm right handed and use a counter-clockwise trimmer.

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
BaileysLawnServices said:
I've operated trimmers that rotate clockwise and counter-clockwise. Its not that hard to use either one. Just start on the opposite side of the yard and trim in the opposite direction. I'm right handed and use a counter-clockwise trimmer.
Im not that good Ed. I get Covered.

John

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
I too am right-handed by nature, but long ago I understood I needed to use the trimmer right-handed, or left-handed, so I spent time learning. Yes, awkward at first, but now I routinely switch throughout a given yard. Trimming left-handed with my Stihl FS85 and walking forward is so much better than walking backward and holding the trimmer right-handed.

It is much easier, and faster, to switch hands than to move my body to position for better trimming angles. Of course, I'm an old-cogger and don't move as well as in younger years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am speaking from the manufacturer's point of view. They can do it. Not me. Frankly, I could care less. I can use either one. LOL...... I was reading the first post about him wanting to build a head that would turn CW. or the worm gear could be moved to the other side. there are a lot of ways to do this. It all depends on the capabilites and research of the person wanting to design it.

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
I am speaking from the manufacturer's point of view. They can do it. Not me. Frankly, I could care less. I can use either one. LOL...... I was reading the first post about him wanting to build a head that would turn CW. or the worm gear could be moved to the other side. there are a lot of ways to do this. It all depends on the capabilites and research of the person wanting to design it.
I'm right handed:cry: :cry: Thanks:) Have a great 4th:waving:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey guys (and gals)--Do you all know how a golf cart goes in reverse?

That's right, it's a two-stroke and the starter just turns backwards. There are a lot of off-road vehicles that work like this. A two-stroke does not care which way its going, except that the ignition timing would be reversed. So I figure that if you were to wind the starter backwards you could get it running like this, but it probably wouldn’t have much power since the timing will be out. Then look at either shifting the magneto around or using an offset key on the flywheel to correct the timing and get it running like normal. The clutch and cooling blower should work fine, these both work on centrifugal force. Then move the little knife to the other side of the guard (if so equipped).

Or just switch between straight/curved shaft—a lot less trouble.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.