Trimmer shootout batt vs fuel, Milwaukee m18 fueled, vs husqvarna 536lilx, vs 525rx

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Corey B, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Corey B

Corey B LawnSite Member

Well I wanted to see a head to head on these trimmers and found nothing so....
    I did one my self pinning the "professional grade" Milwaukee m18 fueled String trimmer against 2 of Husqvarna best offerings. The professional 536lilx and the 525rx .
    Enjoy the very long video but I doubt anyone will show the real world uses we put these through.

2. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Gold Member

3. Turf Tracer

You let out too much line and running .95 can’t even break it on a hard surface.
    And Keeping weight similar to a 23cc trimmer means 2ah batt max. Very crappy runtime.

A batt unit is basically equivalent to a 19cc gas with a quarter tank of gas. Except to fill it up again to 1/4 you need a $120 Battery replacement.

Strictly Homeowner stuff

Ran these 4 weeks next to Husky 323’s 525’s and 525LST and an echo 280

4. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Corey B likes this.
  5. Corey B

Corey B LawnSite Member

Ya in the video the battery ones are doing some serious timber undergrowth stuff. And the 525rx is not completely stomping them. Plus a battery lasts longer then a tank of fuel in my 128 and my buddies 129l

6. Turf Tracer

Runtime is fine if you run a big batt but that kills power to weight. Anything over 2ah and unit is heavier than 25cc gas

Also try running .95 without guard. If you want to put put along with .80 and a guard with 4ah or bigger batts. Go Nuts.

Corey B likes this.
  7. Corey B

Corey B LawnSite Member

Ya battery weight is always going to be a challenge. Fearfully the manufacturers will cut weight everywhere else making them cheaply made crap.

8. Turf Tracer

Right so hypothetically if I was going to carry one battery trimmer with similar power to weight as a Husky 323 or 525 gas and run .95 line/no guard , I would burn through three to four 2ah batts per day. And the unit would perform like a 20cc trimmer at best.

So cost up near $800 and I’d have a less powerful trimmer.

9. Corey B

Corey B LawnSite Member

But that cost will last year's. That is a lot of fuel and oil and a lot of gas breaks and a heck if a lot of time pulling the rope. All that is worth a lot more the $800 for a lot of guys.

10. Turf Tracer

I will be draining 3 batt’s a day every day this season so will see If these batts can go an entire season. Haven’t done the math yet but Very Doubtful fuel savings is going to equal price of 4 spare batts and a couple chargers.

The unit is very comfortable to operate w/the 2ah batt. No vibration. No noise. And weight similar to a 323.

It’s fine for extended periods of light trimming especially if you have allot of walk/trim/walk/trim stuff when power not used.

But if you need to flat top a patch that mower can’t hit or run into some dense trimming and you running over 14” radius of .95 line, the batt will drain Fast. And it does not have the power to trim at speeds consistent with a unit like the 525 or 323

Corey B and bluetruck like this.