Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
a week on a spool! How many yards do you do. During peak season I will do 9 or 10 per day and go through about 1.5 spools each day...am i the only one or does that sound about right. I try not to run my stuff WOT but i also do a lot around brick work and I edge, so that may be the differnce??
Me? About 80 to 85 a week... I edge with my trimmer a lot too. I can often do a whole lawn and bump the feed just once or twice. Range in size from 4k to 100k sq feet.
Posted via Mobile Device

One trimmer, 2 operators. The trimmer line only welds when one operator uses it. Why???

The operator that has a welding problem tends to wait until there is only about an inch of line sticking out of the head before he advances the line. The operator that keeps plenty of line out has no problems with welding.

It is true and I had a helper for a couple of days and he would run the line right down to the head before he would try to advance it. Of course by then there wasn't enough momentum in the line to pull it out of the head. Then he would just keep on using it and I guess the RPM got so high that the head got a little warm and welded the line in place. I had to disassemble the head about once every half hour and fix it for him.

Which guy are you?
i'm the guy who waits until there is an inch of line stick out to advance it and has no problems with line welding together.......:waving:

What brand of string trimmer do you operate? We recommend you use speed feed heads. Those are made by shindaiwa, but there are other brands that are universal and fit other trimmers.. We had the same problem until we switched over to the speed feed. So easy and fast to load. Also recommend you start using gator line. The best line we have used by far. It is much more price wise but well worth it. It last so much longer to.
Posted via Mobile Device

Discussion starter · #24 ·
What brand of string trimmer do you operate? We recommend you use speed feed heads. Those are made by shindaiwa, but there are other brands that are universal and fit other trimmers.. We had the same problem until we switched over to the speed feed. So easy and fast to load. Also recommend you start using gator line. The best line we have used by far. It is much more price wise but well worth it. It last so much longer to.
Posted via Mobile Device
We are using diamond edge string line. It is orange in color and we use .095 thickness.

Where do you buy gator line?

We get ours from our local dealer. You can check out www.oregonchain.com. They don't sell it directly from their website but they can guide you to a nearest dealer that may sell it in your area. Also you can try www.northerntool.com. Also www.baileys.com. We use the .95 round. And it last very long. We always purchase the 5lb spool.
Posted via Mobile Device

Had the same problem after I hired a helper. Myself, I've used miles of the Echo Crossfire line on their bumpheads without a problem. After I saw what Richard experienced, and I explained the principles of centrifical force to the helper, we didn't have that problem again either. (Now he goes through line like I own stock in Echo.)
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I do like what richard said, we too have that problem, and it drives me nuts. I will try that and see if it helps.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
We get ours from our local dealer. You can check out www.oregonchain.com. They don't sell it directly from their website but they can guide you to a nearest dealer that may sell it in your area. Also you can try www.northerntool.com. Also www.baileys.com. We use the .95 round. And it last very long. We always purchase the 5lb spool.
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you guys running Professional Gatorline or Magnum Gatorline? Square or round?

I had this problem all last season. We were running .095" Redmax round type string, then switched to echo .095" string with the edges.... it still melted together. Then we went to STIHL .105" and it would do it rarely. I never thought about poor greasing being partially the problem and they may have been it for my case. I think that Richard Martin brings up a good point about guys waiting to tap though. I have trimmer guys so this problem was not happening to me first hand running a machine, I was just repeatedly handed stuck heads.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.