Trimmer string

Skywind

LawnSite Member
I’ve tried 10 plus trimmer lines in the past year...Husqvarna Titanium, Echo Black Diamond, Shindaiwa Blue twisted like, The yellow triangle line Rhino line from HD or Lowes, Some old Toro round line, Echo cross fire, few off brand round lines and one off brand square line, Oregon round gatorline (prob the most brittle) of the bunch. The Echo BD and Shindaiwa Blue twisted line are prob my favorites. Purchased a new 3lb BD spool this spring from Home Depot, at first it was brittle…soaked it in water for 3 days…still not as tough as my old BD spool…now a month or two later….it’s much more durable.

stihlfan05

LawnSite Bronze Member
I like the .105 BD the best. I’ve used square and round Stihl line, Echo crossfire, BD, Oregon Gatorline ST, and a few others.

stihlfan05

LawnSite Bronze Member
I’ve tried 10 plus trimmer lines in the past year...Husqvarna Titanium, Echo Black Diamond, Shindaiwa Blue twisted like, The yellow triangle line Rhino line from HD or Lowes, Some old Toro round line, Echo cross fire, few off brand round lines and one off brand square line, Oregon round gatorline (prob the most brittle) of the bunch. The Echo BD and Shindaiwa Blue twisted line are prob my favorites. Purchased a new 3lb BD spool this spring from Home Depot, at first it was brittle…soaked it in water for 3 days…still not as tough as my old BD spool…now a month or two later….it’s much more durable.
I’ve noticed this with the BD as well. IIRC @Ridin' Green mentioned it’s different from most line in that it gets stronger the more it dries out

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I’ve noticed this with the BD as well. IIRC @Ridin' Green mentioned it’s different from most line in that it gets stronger the more it dries out
That has sure been my experience with BD and it is opposite all other lines I have used over the years. I normally soak my line spool at least once per season but not BD. It does better if you buy it early in the year and let it dry out for a couple months IME.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
I switched from the Crossfire to Black Diamond a couple of years ago. I run the 095 for daily use. There's more durable line out there but it cuts excellent even a low speeds. I sure don't miss picking up orange string bits on my accounts. The black is pretty much invisible, so that's a plus for me too.

Top Forums