Trimmers!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by meets1, Apr 15, 2019.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Been thinking here. All the new rav are batteries. Thinking maybe trying it but strictly to my residential crews. They see little trimming compared to our large accounts. That way if things break, things don't start, etc maybe try a battery powered unit. Yes, we always have extra's but its running back to shop, its lost time bc the trimmer doesn't start - could be hole in fuel line which happens, leaky gasket out of the tank, slowly dripping gas down the leg, on the boots, on the grass. I don't know - anyone going or doing this route? I have looked at the dewalt ones which I have like 50 batteries. I looked at Toro's and the ecore. But...what about rain, damp weather. Gas powered ones, who cares, we trim in the rain, sit in the back of the truck in the rain during the day, etc.. That's a concern with battery units.

2. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

Never used one, but I imagine keeping batteries charged might be an issue. All you can do is try it out if you want and see how it works out for you.

3. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

You can avoid 99% of all those problems with gas by doing proper maintenance. Things do break, and sometimes trimmers die, but I rarely have issues over the years, I do carry a backup, but I also keep my equipment maintained to avoid things like fuel lines, leaky gas tanks, etc.

If you already have tons of the dewalt batteries, I would buy the tool and see how it holds up for you. Echo also has a decent battery trimmer.

Mumblingboutmowers likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I know 99 % are avoid problems but all of a sudden that gas line has a small pin hole in it. I don't change gas lines out till that happens. OR a recoil string breaks, I don't change those out either unless they break. Now maybe you do all the time but with us, numerous ppl working, no matter the maintenance schedule there is always something. Just thinking maybe trying the battery thing.

hort101 and Cam15 like this.
  5. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Theres a whole thread on battery equipment
    I have a 56v echo trimmerThumbs Up
    https://www.lawnsite.com/threads/an...nd-held-equipment.463302/page-29#post-5992721

Walker56 likes this.
  6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i wouldn't leave battery equipment sitting out in the rain and i wouldn't use it in the rain either. it's not really waterproof.

7. Locke Lamora

Locke Lamora LawnSite Member
    Male, from MA

Husky's stuff is pretty water resistant and the new batteries from stihl are water resistant now too. Their backpack batteries have some ugly plastic thing you can put them in. They need to update that.

I just got a stihl fsa90 and just ran it a tiny bit, seems like it will do the trick for most stuff I run into. Have a brush cutter and access to anything else I would need if I ran into anything too tough.

8. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I've been using the DeWalt 40V Max hand helds since 2015.
    Here's the thread I started - I stopped updating it when Photobucket blocked everyone's images for about a year, but now you can see the pics again.

There are SO many more on the market now, that I wouldn't dare recommend anything because I haven't been watching for new stuff.
    All I can say is that it works GREAT for ME.

I'm solo and I don't have to worry about employees beating the snot out of my stuff. My mowers are out in the rain - everything else in the bed of my truck, covered by a cap.

Batteries are not an issue if you have enough of them. You just have to be diligent about charging them at the end of the day so you have a supply ready for the next day.
    Dumbest "rant" I constantly hear from the "gas boys" is "Well, whadd'a ya do when the battery DIES???"
    Well, brainiac, what do you do when your gas trimmer runs out of gas? Yeah, same here, I "refill" with a new battery. This isn't rocket science.

Maintenance - LOL!!! What maintenance? End of season, hang it in the garage. Done. Spring time, snap a battery in (that held it's charge over the winter) and get to trimming.

Using in the rain? I wouldn't. I mean, I do if it's just drizzling, but if it's actively raining, I'm not working anyway, so it doesn't matter.

The power is not on par with gas for heavy trimming, but I don't do much heavy trimming, so I have no need to brag about my tubo-powered, brush-chopper 2000 GAS TRIMMER - the cordless trimmer cuts just fine for weekly cut lawns - just as well as my Stihl FS90R.

I've been very happy with each piece I own with the exception of the hand held blower - it kills batteries fast.

String trimmer
    Hedge Trimmer (hand held)
    Blower (hand held)
    Chain Saw

I'd love to get the extended reach trimmer and maybe the backpack blower.

Locke Lamora and hort101 like this.
  9. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Stihl has the best extended reach articulating hedge trimmers. .we have two of the extended reach HLA85 and one which is 6ft...HLA65 ...as well as the new plug in model HSA94t. I trimmed for two straight hours on one with the AP300s batteries...my crew so far have reported far less fatigue when trimming due to less weight.

Screenshot_20190416-225218_Chrome.jpg

Locke Lamora likes this.
  10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

We run a bit load of dewalt tools
    Biggest problems are batteries
    Not enough batteries
    Not enough charge
    Not charge fast enough
    Almost all our batteries are shot
    Tons of tools no power