1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Trimming Arbs?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by fga, Apr 19, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

What's up? I'm not looking for a price, rather advice. I have to price a trim job on a row of arbs, the thing is they are 17' - 22+' tall. What is the most I can trim off them at one time? Is it possible to to almost cut them in half, and put the "tree sealant" on them to heal and protect them? I live in NY, so it is still chill in there every other day. can I do it this season, or wait until late fall/winter?

2. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have taken 14 ft ones down to 9 ft before . And they are back to 12 ft again.

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

you can trim them down in half, although they'll be bare at the point you cut them for a while. Forego the pruning sealer, it's not necessary.

5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

wait until fall if possible, due to insects and dieseases may attack the arbs. if you trim them now.

6. hollywood

hollywood LawnSite Member

like the previous post mentioned fall is best. besides insect damage, the sun hitting the exposed wood is harmful also.