Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making my first bid on a commercial property tomorrow which will include trimming bushes!! Just wondering how many times in a season do you typically trim bushes and in what months? Thanks

ToddS

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Depends a lot from variety to variety. Eleagnus you can figure on pruning 5-6 times a year. Something like Yaupon Holly much less. Say once or twice at the most. There are growth regulators on the market that will reduce the frequency of pruning, but it is expensive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It all depends on the type, but have you thought about a growth inhibitor? After trimming shrubs at the apartment complexes,and restaurants we apply the growth inhibitor to slow grow. This buyes us time and saves labor cost.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Damn!!!! 4 to 5 cuts, make me glad I live in the midwest. We prune everything by hand with Felcos ONCE! Taxus, Ilex, EAC, you name it. I must admit that there are a few instances where we go back in and do a light touch up. If you time your pruning properly you may be able to reduce the frequency.

·
Registered
54 Posts
sal,

What do you use as a growth inhibator? Very interesting...

Last year I quoted a residential in late spring figuring to do the hedges once and maybe some touch up.
I cut them back 3 times last year!! So I basically did them twice for free..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mr.Nomo The product is called A Trim Mec (Plant growth Regulator). The price is higher than a giraffes butt, but is well worth the cost. The company does an apartment complex approx. 75 acres and the complex is over 30 years old,more shrubs than we know what to do with. Last season ga. receivd alot of rain and shrubs became a major problem to keep up with.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I do shrubs by the hour. I wouldn't want a growth inhibitor. I encourage my customers to fertilze shrubs and hedges to thicken and fill in thin areas and then reap the $ come trimming time (3-4 times per year). Last year shrub and hedge trimming revenue was 25% of gross. At $40 per hour it's is one of the areas that I can make up for the low cutting prices in this area of FL.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The growth inhibitor is only used on my commercial accounts, I only service 10 residential accounts so trimming is not a problem there. But 46 commercial accounts makes good business sense to me. I only say this because the shrubs are included in the contract along with fert. The upcharges come into play with ground covers (pinestraw,mulches) and flowers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.