Trimming Faster

ChrisBerry

LawnSite Member
You use both hands and most of your body to operate a trimmer; they are neither right- not left-handed, like a piano. Also, "walking counter clockwise" is not the best way to think about it. Right to left is the best direction to cut, which is counter clockwise around the inside of a fence, but clockwise around the outside perimeter of a house.

I hold the loop in my right hand, and face what I'm trimming, walking to my left, or walk forward with the trimmer to my right, or if needed, backwards with the trimmer to the left. It really depends on what I'm trimming. The thing that doesn't change is that the surface is cut from the right to the left. The head spins in a circle, and will blow out away from what you trim if you are going from right to left. Just make sure you don't have a guard on, which will force everything to go all over the place.
Posted via Mobile Device

DFLS

LawnSite Senior Member

Mikeyd

LawnSite Member
If you can, figure out how to better setup your rig? I mount my my trimmer and blower on my mower. I do one swipe around the inside/outside perimeter of the house followed by trimming the inside perimeter of the house, followed by edging driveway and sidewalk. I then cut the grass and trim around trees as I go. For backyard porches and flowerbeds I use the handheld. Once I'm done, by closing off my OCDC I can blow off the driveway and sidewalks with my mower. Anything stubborn or left over I use the handheld.

I timed the before and after setups and I'm saving about 5-8 minutes a yard.

The big take away from all this? Once I leave the truck I don't come back until I'm done. No repeated trips back to change equipment.

Below is my rig..

image.jpg

Mikeyd

LawnSite Member
Looks goodnyou are right about how much time is wasted going back to trailer locking, unlocking etc. What is that big disk on the end of trimmer?
That is called an EDGIT. Quite honestly can't imagine trimming / edging without one, one of the best 50.00 I have ever spent.

DFLS

LawnSite Senior Member
Do you trim left handed, as in, with your left hand on the throttle, going counterclockwise around a perimeter?
If so, could you PLEASE make a video of you trimming. I've been wanting to see one for a while. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
I trim right hand on throttle and go clockwise around obstacles. More videos to follow soon with more trimming plus edging.

DFLS

LawnSite Senior Member
Man I could not do all of that walking backwards. It looked like you had already cut the grass. How are you going to get all of those leaves off of the grass? I also saw a lot of leaves on the sidewalk, what will you do with those?
I go around with the backpack for that. Another thing, in a couple hours the lawn will be peppered with leaves again. My mid season cleanups are not immaculate.