Trimming Quote Large Property

OP
B

BlueSkies

LawnSite Member
This is an interesting bid you have.

my initial thought is someone on the church grounds committee doesn’t want to do it anymore, which is a red flag for me.

my experience has been church’s look for cheap in a way many Hoa’s do. While your price may be reasonable based on your assessment, the folks at the church may think it’s outrageous. However, your the guy doing the work. It seems like a lot, stick to your bid.
That’s exactly why I was called. Didn’t flat out say they were wanting cheap help but they don’t want to do it anymore. The guy who recommended me and the guy who drive me around the property both said the my believe it’s a half day job. I’m hoping I go much faster than that.

OP
B

BlueSkies

LawnSite Member
Here's some perspective for you.
One of the parks we mow. 10 acres. Has 3960 linial feet of painlink fence. Takes less than 1 hr to trim it.
I am really hoping that’s my situation. If it takes significantly less than I am thinking I am ok with a price drop but I don’t want to get there and it be more.

sagesove

LawnSite Senior Member
A bunch of missing information I think. They want you to trim this only once? Weekly? Every two weeks? Three weeks? Monthly?

Who is doing the mowing portion of the property?

In our first 2 years in buisness, we were approached by multiple church organizations and parochial or religous schools. They all wanted our services for litterally nickels and dimes. Religious corporations will not pay us enough to put food on the table, keep the lights on or keep us healthy. We will also not play a paper game with aunty IRiS to offset the meager "donation" religious organizations were willing to pay us.

In the end, to each their own. You can do business with whomever you like. Those clients are not for us.

Gus McGee

LawnSite Senior Member
I always think it is a good idea to use metrics as rough guidelines for determining pricing. It is a little time consuming getting initial data, but bust out the measuring wheel on a few properties that you maintain. Measure up the linear feet of solid surfaces that need edging, and the linear feet of areas that need line trimming but not edging. Use a stopwatch or watch with a timer and see how long it takes you to do x number of linear feet of each. Always notate the difficulity of the terrain and conditions (overgrown jungle, weekly maintenance, etc). Get the same data for other things, such as cutting lawns, but use square feet.

After a while you can get very good data, which you can apply to larger sites by using satellite imagery measurements. You can check your data versus your time approximations to come up with a number that will likely be within the ballpark.

Without seeing your site it is nearly impossible to determine what the time should be. How difficult is the terrain? How badly overgrown are the edges? How frequently will it be maintained.

With that being said, the above posters are correct. Churches are usually dirt cheap. If you give them a price of what you should make vs what they are willing to spend, you probably will not get the job. Especially considering they are keeping the mowing in house.

OP
B

BlueSkies

LawnSite Member
Gave them the quote. I went with 450. And line most said they were taken back by it. I did explain to them the linear foot and how long I thought I would be out there as to the price but I can’t go any lower.
Not expecting to get it and that’s ok. But I will let you guys know what their final verdict is. (The board has to discuss it).

Top Forums