1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

TrimStar 48" Hydro or Gear Drive?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Snowman269, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Snowman269

Snowman269 LawnSite Member

My Hustler Dealer is fantastic, so regardless of other brands, my Dealer loyalty says I'm ordering a 48" Trimstar. I just can't decide between the Hydro or Gear Drive. What's the pro's & cons. I'm used to a Toro 52" with sulky & it was fine.

I am unable to test one, so your input is crucial to my decision.

My wife will likely be piloting this unit & demands a stand up machine. Her back cannot handle sitting all day on a zero turn no matter what I do. 72" Super Z, Suspension seat & Flex forks are a big improvement, but not enough.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Hydro is the way to go with the H-Bar steering, hands down.
    But... what is your budget?? of course the gear drive will be less money.

3. Snowman269

Snowman269 LawnSite Member

You say hands down, could you elaborate? My budget is small, but I don't believe it makes sense to buy the lesser priced Gear Drive & wish I would have invested in the Hydro. I just don't want to buy the hydro & find out the Gear Drive would have been sufficient.

The Gear Drive appears to operate like most Snowblowers & finger triggers could be a pain in a tight yard. Snowblowers spent most of the time in a straight line. They don't generally end up around trees on a sculpted lawn in a back yard.

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The hydro is easier to operate, has a real reverse, has a floating deck, H-Bar steering.... on and on...
    If your budget only allows for a gear drive it will work for you, but you will get a better value in the Hydro.

Pj